Disc Brakes Rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chip

Only done about 30 miles so far on my new Carerra subway 2 but both brakes keep rubbing. I'm able to loosen the front brake and realign the brake for awhile to stop it rubbing however the rubbing comes back. The rear brake rubs no matter what I do, have also tried pushing the pistons back. Both discs look straight on a visual inspection. They only rub on a small part of one wheel spin.

Do I just need to ride it more for the brakes to bed in and also wear down some of the pads?

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Only done about 30 miles so far on my new Carerra subway 2 but both brakes keep rubbing. I'm able to loosen the front brake and realign the brake for awhile to stop it rubbing however the rubbing comes back. The rear brake rubs no matter what I do, have also tried pushing the pistons back. Both discs look straight on a visual inspection. They only rub on a small part of one wheel spin.

Do I just need to ride it more for the brakes to bed in and also wear down some of the pads?
With only 30 miles i would think you need to bed them in.
Hard downhill braking to get the brakes up to temperature should bed them in.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it back to Halfords, get them to check it over in advance of its 6 week service. Then ride it more and take it back once you've done 100 miles or so

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My subway discs rubbed too, it took a fair bit of fettling to get them right .If your not sure take it back and get them to do it .
I had to realign the pads by loosening the mounting bolts then applying the brake , then adjust the inner pad which is static on mine and then adjust the cable for the moving pad .
Then i had to use disc brake cleaner to stop the terrible squeaking .

OP
OP
C

chip

I'd take them back, as people have suggested, and get Halfords to adjust them...simply because the bike is new. You could adjust them yourself as Cyberknight suggests, but why should you, if you've just bought the bike? - here's a vid clip showing how this adjustment is done

Thanks that video is exactly what I was doing to adjust them. I will take it back if there's nothing left to try apart from putting some more miles on it to get them to bed in.

Bonus

Veteran
Only ever had a rub when the disk was very slightly kinked. 30 miles isn't far though - the pads are still brand new.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I had a Claude Butler mountain bike and from day 1, if I adjusted the back brake not to rub with the wheel perfectly seated then within a few miles the brake would be rubbing again. If I then readjusted the back brake not to rub again but WITHOUT reseating the back wheel again it would be fine.

In the end Claude Butler replaced the bike and I never had another problem adjusting the back brake. I subsequently found out that this problem is not uncommon with cheap bike frames.

Top Bottom