disc brakes squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod hat off:

The search function is a useful tool and can be a v.useful feature of the site. It's fair to point this out to new (and sometimes seasoned members) but a blunt approach to someone relatively new to the forum doesn't seem to be all that pleasant to me. Talk about off-putting. :sad:

Similarly, as already alluded to upthread, we may not have collated the views and experiences of every member who has them, as well as covering any new technology/components, in past threads, so a revisit to an old topic may enhance the site's knowledge base.

And, ultimately, the 'crime' is hardly significant in the grand scheme of things. If it really bothers anyone then simply don't get involved in the thread. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mod hat off:

The search function is a useful tool and can be a v.useful feature of the site. It's fair to point this out to new (and sometimes seasoned members) but a blunt approach to someone relatively new to the forum doesn't seem to be all that pleasant to me. Talk about off-putting. :sad:

Similarly, as already alluded to upthread, we may not have collated the views and experiences of every member who has them, as well as covering any new technology/components, in past threads, so a revisit to an old topic may enhance the site's knowledge base.

And, ultimately, the 'crime' is hardly significant in the grand scheme of things. If it really bothers anyone then simply don't get involved in the thread. :smile:
I agree with that, and it is one of the reasons I hate FAQ threads on the tech sections of some forums. Better ways of doing something may have come along and some "Well known facts" which have been accepted for years turn out to have been wrong.

I think that it is informative to hear about brake problems with disc brakes, as everyone seems to have different experiences and circumstances, and a one-size-fits -all approach to this sort of thing could lead to precious little new or enlightening information being presented by this section of the forum.

I think you'll find that the problem in question falls within those one-size-fits-all blanket that already covers the topic.

I have an open mind but my bets are on the chance that the OP hasn't got a problem not known to science.

Or perhaps you could refrain from looking at this part of the forum if you're jaded and finding it hard to respond in a friendly and helpful way. :whistle:
I know that one of my responses in the distant past firmly cemented your opinion of my style but try and separate my "style" from my facts. Like I said, my response was without emotion.

I think it particularly helpful to have stopped that silly diversion diversion right in its tracks and lead the OP on a different path.

If anyone can come up with a plausible reason why a caliper misalignment would cause a squeal, I'll doff my hat in public.

I think it particularly helpful to have stopped that silly diversion diversion right in its tracks and lead the OP on a different path.

yet you offered no offered no directions to a different path, oh sorry yes you did , use the search function , would it have been so hard to offer words of some sort of explanation , like I say you have the knowledge , the op did/does not.
it wouldn't be much of a forum if every new members question was answered with ….use the search function, still up to you how you respond I suppose.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, you did correct my technical knowledge @Yellow Saddle on one occasion and the way you did it it didn't really help build a connection. Have you noticed that a lot of the threads you engage in end in an argument and have you wondered why that might be? I for one am trying to encourage posts and traffic to the site to help Shaun keep it viable.

TBH, I don't see how you stopped the OP heading down the wrong track by using so few and such blunt words. You provided no justification for your assertion.

So I agree with @SpokeyDokey - there is no compulsion to reply to a thread if it's heading in a direction you don't like. I am sure you have more technical knowledge than me but nobody is indispensable or immune from apologising for being too blunt.

alicat

Legendary Member
yet you offered no offered no directions to a different path, oh sorry yes you did , use the search function , would it have been so hard to offer words of some sort of explanation , like I say you have the knowledge , the op did/does not.
it wouldn't be much of a forum if every new members question was answered with ….use the search function, still up to you how you respond I suppose.

Hear, hear. By the way, @Yellow Saddle only suggested the search function when challenged.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think you'll find that the problem in question falls within those one-size-fits-all blanket that already covers the topic.

I have an open mind but my bets are on the chance that the OP hasn't got a problem not known to science.
I just like to be open to new ideas and solutions, and sometimes different explanations can be more helpful. While the OP may not have a unique problem, I often find this forum to be a source of unique solutions and explanations.

Top Bottom