disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have Hayes CX5s I think they are on the Genesis Croix De Fer bike. Pads have lasted about a year on the rear, and longer on the front. There are better mechanical brakes out there now but the Hayes are powerful in the wet.

Its different to callipers in that there is no real delay before biting, you learn to modulate the brake a little more with your fingers in my experience. This is due to the rims being pinched by callipers are often covered in rubber, grim from the road or rain. With the disc its higher and more removed from muck etc. This is a bit of an advantage for commuting imo.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have Hayes CX5s I think they are on the Genesis Croix De Fer bike. Pads have lasted about a year on the rear, and longer on the front. There are better mechanical brakes out there now but the Hayes are powerful in the wet.

Its different to callipers in that there is no real delay before biting, you learn to modulate the brake a little more with your fingers in my experience. This is due to the rims being pinched by callipers are often covered in rubber, grim from the road or rain. With the disc its higher and more removed from muck etc. This is a bit of an advantage for commuting imo.

Well if I ever get my blingtasic fancy lugged audax bike made, maybe I'll specify discs.

Crankarm

Guru
Hi, I'm in the process of buying a new bike. And I just wanted to know if disc brakes are worth it, not just performance wise. I do about 3000 miles a year. I want to know how often I probably would I have to change them and would their performance justify them. I am looking at mechanical disc brakes, I also ride all year around.

Yes.

Next.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Sort of.....

If you have the money and can get decent ones, yes -wet weather performance and modulation is usually going to be better. If you are looking to save some money or have limited resources, I don't think they offer the best value. While I personally prefer discs, you have to remember many people have done thousands of miles on rim brakes with more than adequate results.

To answer your second question, nobody really knows how often you'll need to change the pads -depends on the pads you use and the conditions you use them in. The performance improvement is only worth the depth of your wallet.

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a new bike. And I just wanted to know if disc brakes are worth it, not just performance wise. I do about 3000 miles a year. I want to know how often I probably would I have to change them and would their performance justify them. I am looking at mechanical disc brakes, I also ride all year around.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have disc brakes on my ATR and have done on my previous 2 bikes too.

If you have the option I would choose hydraulic, if only for the self-adjustment feature. Consider TRP HyRd if you have drop bars where the hydraulic options are limited.

I like not having to worry and slight buckles in my wheel impacting the braking.

At 3000 miles a year you wouldn't need to worry about them too much, I've done just over 4000 on this set of pads and they've got a lot of life left. As you the rotors - I've never had to change one...yet.
Just about to get a rotor replaced after 6 plus years, of 3000 miles a year, and I'm someone who uses my brakes lots. The LBS have blamed me not maintaining them properly which is probably true enough! However to put it into perspective on a previous bike I had to replace the rims after 12-18 months! (Again not realising what I should have been doing to maintain them).

I love disk brakes and would always choose a bike with them now. Work wet in the wet (if noisy), and constant, so I know exactly how much to pull them on for the amount of braking.

byegad

Legendary Member
I think they are well worth it, if you use BB7s. No rim wear so over a year or two you'll get your money back by not having to replace rims. Pads are expensive but one of my rides (The wet weather trike, so spends a lot of time with grit and road muck on it..) has over 4000 miles on them and are still only half worn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think they are well worth it, if you use BB7s. No rim wear so over a year or two you'll get your money back by not having to replace rims. Pads are expensive but one of my rides (The wet weather trike, so spends a lot of time with grit and road muck on it..) has over 4000 miles on them and are still only half worn.

Pads are expensive? BB7 pads? Fiver a pair and they last a gawd awful long time.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can't speak for other makes and models* but Avid BB7's are the mutts nuts on a road going bike.

*BB5's are skip fodder.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Discs, every time. Wouldn't buy anything else.

Sure, a well set up expensive pair of callipers will match them most (if not all of the time) but you won't touch the disc set up while you'll tinker with the callipers

Nothing to disconnect when you fix a puncture, I've had hydraulics for around two and a half years on the Sirrus and barely had to touch them, mechanicals on the Synapse have been similarly problem free. So far no need to replace pads either. Very good reactions in the wet (agreed I only have old tech callipers to compare them to, but one 'stop, stop, stop' moment approaching a roundabout in the heavy rain was enough for me there),

The clever science is that you take more pressure to lock a disc brake (roughly 1000nm vs 200nm for a calliper) which is where the extra modulation comes in, so you can part brake without causing problems a lot easier.

Definitely try some out before you dismiss them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm a Yorkshireman and they are compared to replacing just the blocks on traditional brakes.

Disagree.
Trad brake blocks cost more for a decent pair then BB7 disc pads, and not only that, you buy 3 or 4 pairs of brake blocks to one pair of disc pads.

Top Bottom