Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

I am looking to get a new bike, looking around the £1000 mark I have seen 2 like one has disc brakes and the other doesn't both are same price. Do you get better gearing etc on non disc brake bikes to compensate for the extra cost of the disks, what are the benifits of disc brakes ? What do most people have

double_dd

Über Member
Have you got links to said bikes? What groupset, frame etc ?

In good conditions, good rim brakes equal a decent cable disk brake.
Disk brakes maintain their performance much better in mucky conditions. With rim brakes you may need one or 2 rotations to clean mucky water off the rim.

OP
OP
G

GavinDavies7

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 66

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have disk brakes on the front. To be honest i am quite wary of using them as they are quite vicious. I don't want to end up going over the handle bars. I tend to use the back brake. I only use the front ones when going down a particularly steep hill and even then i only use them sparingly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have disk brakes on the front. To be honest i am quite wary of using them as they are quite vicious. I don't want to end up going over the handle bars. I tend to use the back brake. I only use the front ones when going down a particularly steep hill and even then i only use them sparingly.

In that case I would say your front brakes are not set up correctly

vickster

Legendary Member
Is one carbon and one aluminium, that probably accounts for the cost. Do you actually have the detailed specs as opposed to just images?

Have you ridden the bikes, that should help you decide

double_dd

Über Member
Is the giant alu and the felt carbon? Pretty much the same components wise.

I like Giants for the lifetime frame warranty but not sure if Felt has something similar.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

Im looking to get one of these later in the year when i get my ride to work certificate. From what i hear, theres not much wrong with the bike apart from their 'Giant Conduct hydraulic' which takes up a fair amount of space on the bar so it might feel a little cramped after you add your lights and what other things you need.

Still a smashing bike.Only real worry i have is that SKS mudguards wont fit.

I am looking to get a new bike, looking around the £1000 mark I have seen 2 like one has disc brakes and the other doesn't both are same price. Do you get better gearing etc on non disc brake bikes to compensate for the extra cost of the disks, what are the benifits of disc brakes ? What do most people have
They are fantastic, on a mountain bike or CX / Hybrid / trail bike, used on trails. I get the right Royal arse whenever a disc braked road bike turns up on a group road ride of mine though. I don't want a spinning blade anywhere near me in the event of a group pile up.

But you're ok with pointy brake levers, chainring teeth and QRs?
Yes, they don't rotate / are shielded by chains / bits of frame / cranks etc.The risk assessments become very tricky with the presence of a rotating metal disc or several, being ridden at speed, in close proximity.

Top Bottom