Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Yes, they don't rotate / are shielded by chains / bits of frame / cranks etc.The risk assessments become very tricky with the presence of a rotating metal disc or several, being ridden at speed, in close proximity.

Motocross and MotoGP riders seem to manage ok - and have done so for many years. Reports of disc-related injuries are minimal to non-existent despite crashes being commonplace, so hardly a serious issue.

Motocross and MotoGP riders seem to manage ok - and have done so for many years. Reports of disc-related injuries are minimal to non-existent despite crashes being commonplace, so hardly a serious issue.
Motocross riders wear armour, not Lycra, disc brakes road bikes aren't commonplace yet ( thankfully), but in one high profile case, in a crash during a pro race last year, there was more than a sneaking suspicion ( from the injured rider ) that a disc brake sliced his leg.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...injured-disc-brake-paris-roubaix-crash-220593

"Some teams" later cast doubt on it, but I imagine they weren't getting kick backs from the manufacturers or anything, no, that would be absurd.

S-Express

Motocross riders wear armour, not Lycra, disc brakes road bikes aren't commonplace yet ( thankfully), but in one high profile case, in a crash during a pro race last year, there was more than a sneaking suspicion ( from the injured rider ) that a disc brake sliced his leg.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...injured-disc-brake-paris-roubaix-crash-220593

"Some teams" later cast doubt on it, but I imagine they weren't getting kick backs from the manufacturers or anything, no, that would be absurd.

MX riders do not wear armour on every inch of their body. Nobody has ever been able to conclusively prove how the roubaix injury was acquired. Least of all, the rider concerned.

MX riders do not wear armour on every inch of their body. Nobody has ever been able to conclusively prove how the roubaix injury was acquired. Least of all, the rider concerned.
Righto.

"Spanish journalist Sergi Lopez-Egea of El Periodicotweeted on Sunday: “Fran Ventoso was injured by the disc brake of a rival in a crash and has been evacuated to hospital.”
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...aris-roubaix-crash-220593#mLSPeufebcfVp55B.99"

S-Express

Righto.

"Spanish journalist Sergi Lopez-Egea of El Periodicotweeted on Sunday: “Fran Ventoso was injured by the disc brake of a rival in a crash and has been evacuated to hospital.”
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...aris-roubaix-crash-220593#mLSPeufebcfVp55B.99"

Like I said. No conclusive proof. Although I'll match your anecdotal evidence with more anecdote: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...rancisco-ventosos-paris-roubaix-injury-221630

Kajjal

Guru
They are fantastic, on a mountain bike or CX / Hybrid / trail bike, used on trails. I get the right Royal arse whenever a disc braked road bike turns up on a group road ride of mine though. I don't want a spinning blade anywhere near me in the event of a group pile up.

You are going to be really fed up as the years go by and more people use them. Maybe you should ride with people who don't crash frequently ;)

There is a youtube video of this being tested using a sausage. A hot disc did minimal damage compared to spokes, chain rings etc.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I am looking to get a new bike, looking around the £1000 mark I have seen 2 like one has disc brakes and the other doesn't both are same price. Do you get better gearing etc on non disc brake bikes to compensate for the extra cost of the disks, what are the benifits of disc brakes ? What do most people have

Difficult to say, by and large, disc or rim braked bikes are available with a wide range of groupset choices, currently we're at a point where the consumer market is slowly transitioning to disc brakes, however as you have also noticed there's a lot of debate about safety in the professional peloton and what modifications may be needed to satisfy riders and support crew, whatever comes out of this in the long run is likely to become normal in the consumer market too, it's just a matter of time. That said, there are lots of perfectly practical road bicycles equipped with disc brakes available to buy now, just anticipate the market will be moving on in terms of safety and standards as the technology matures and becomes more normalised.

Alan O

Über Member
I've ridden bikes with rim brakes (caliper and cantilever) for decades, but recently I got a mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes... and wow, they're terrific!

What I like best about them is the lightness of touch that's needed - just a one-finger dab is ample. Just got to remember not to squeeze hard like I do with rim brakes.

Alan

. I don't want a spinning blade anywhere near me in the event of a group pile up.

In pro racing mass pile ups can be a daily risk. How many times has your Sunday morning group ride ended in a tangled mess with broken shoulder blades and ripped flesh, as seem in current rim brake verdion if TdF.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Righto.

The same rider later released another statement saying he'd happily ride disc equipped bikes if his team requested, can't be too against them.

Caught talking bull excrement and backtracked.

In pro racing mass pile ups can be a daily risk. How many times has your Sunday morning group ride ended in a tangled mess with broken shoulder blades and ripped flesh, as seem in current rim brake verdion if TdF.
Once or twice. I wouldn't want to add anything to the mix.

Top Bottom