Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
^Nope

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To expand on the above.

When I had my nasty accident of going through a minivans windscreen. The force of the hit broke the front fork on the brake caliper/disc side. I thought the disc would have been bent/had some damage, but no, none what so ever apart from a scratch where the fork snapped and hit the disc. Disc's are far tougher then you would think and would need a serious amount of force to bend out of true.

I've had more than one tumble on the Hybrid with the discs that Pringled both discs to the point they wouldn't go through the callipers, so yes, I have had the walk of shame, however this being an Internet forum, I imagine no one else has ever had a problem, because I have, well how very 'treehouse'.:rolleyes:. that roll eyes smiley needs to be much bigger.

pclay

Veteran
On my rim braked road bike, I once had a rear wheel spoke break, and the wheel became so out of shape that I had to remove the rear brake and ride 20 miles home with a front brake only. Since the, I always carry a spoke key, and I learnt how to do wheel truing. It's not on,y disc brakes which has this problem.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The physical and engineering advantages of rim brakes are offset by the practical advantages of discs, imho.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My two pence worth.

I have a flat bar bike with hydraulics, a road bike with rim brakes and a road bike with cable discs. IMHO the hydraulics are bar and far the better brakes, never need adjusting and work in the wet. After that I prefer the rim brakes over the cable discs, the cable discs need too much attention.

All my future bikes will be hydraulics.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've never heard a good word about cable discs. My son's mountain bike has them and they're appalling.

The V brakes on my old Orange Clockwork are superb...

It's all about marketing!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
the cable discs need too much attention

In what way?
My cable discs hardly ever need any sort of attention, except to dial them in now and again when they get worn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've never heard a good word about cable discs. My son's mountain bike has them and they're appalling.

The V brakes on my old Orange Clockwork are superb...

It's all about marketing!

We'll here's a good word about them for you.
I use them on my Commuter/Tourer, AVID BB7's. They do over 7000+ miles each year, in all weathers. They take me through the mean streets of SE London every day. They have taken me up mountains and down whilst pannier bagged up. They have never failed or been a problem.

Maybe for MTB'er, they may be a problem, what with all that mucky mud stuff clogging them up.. but I don't do dirty.. only road and for road bikes, they are ideal.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In what way?
My cable discs hardly ever need any sort of attention, except to dial them in now and again when they get worn.

The originals only dialled in on one side which was a pain. I changed them to Spyre which dial in both sides and both have seized up on one side already. I also find that I am adjusting them every couple of weeks. This weeks problem has been the front brake sticking, so much so that I have been stopping every ten miles or so to dial the buggers back out. (Bike now in lbs for them to sort)

Maybe I have just been unlucky but compared to the hydraulics they are a complete pain and I've lost confidence in them.

Mind you the bike has done a fair few miles so that might be something to do with it. :laugh:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
We'll here's a good word about them for you.
I use them on my Commuter/Tourer, AVID BB7's. They do over 7000+ miles each year, in all weathers. They take me through the mean streets of SE London every day. They have taken me up mountains and down will pannier bagged up. They have never failed or been a problem.

Maybe for MTB'er, they may be a problem, what with all that mucky mud stuff clogging them up.. but I don't do dirty.. only road and for road bikes, they are ideal.

Correction, I've heard one positive comment about them! :becool:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Make that two. Shimano BR-505s on my Trek Portland. In ?miles (stopped tracking individual bike mileage ages ago, but well over 20k now) zero issues. Yes, hydros are lovely, but it's not night and day by any means.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The originals only dialled in on one side which was a pain. I changed them to Spyre which dial in both sides and both have seized up on one side already. I also find that I am adjusting them every couple of weeks. This weeks problem has been the front brake sticking, so much so that I have been stopping every ten miles or so to dial the buggers back out. (Bike now in lbs for them to sort)

Maybe I have just been unlucky but compared to the hydraulics they are a complete pain and I've lost confidence in them.

Mind you the bike has done a fair few miles so that might be something to do with it. :laugh:

Yeah the AVID BB5's were single dial. The BB7's double dial, which I think I adjust every couple/few months. I think you have just been unlucky. My bike, as you know also does a fair few miles.

Alan O

Über Member
I've got hydraulic discs on the 2nd hand MTB I bought a few months ago, and I find them astonishingly good - especially in the mudbath I was riding round in last weekend.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about discs on a road bike, as my cantilevers work really well and I can adjust and service them myself - but I'd be tempted.

Alan

Top Bottom