Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

A few weeks ago I was out cycling in the rain and I think some grit got into my front disc brakes because there was like a metallic sound. The disc brakes were perfectly fine before then. However, now the front wheel does not spin as freely as it should (when I spin it by hand). Any ideas?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you checked the rotors and pads for damage/contamination?
Checked the wheel is seated correctly?

As above but be careful with adjustment, the cable discs use the old balls in tapered grove idea, been used for many years, however the is a limit to travel, so brakes seem A1 with a little pressure, but with a lot of pressure no better. No good adjusting the cable.

I made the mistake and descending Symonds Yat when you can only slow down but not stop is not funny. And the Allen key needs to go through the spokes, the one I had as part of the kit did not reach.

Also latter lost the disc pads all together, lucky on the flat.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Did the allen key through the spokes trick get you to a stop down Symonds Yat? Chapeau! Spokes all still intact?
What sort of "cable discs" were these, Eric?

Reactions: C R
I have both an old Halfords mountain bike and new e-bike mountain bike both with cable disc brakes, it was the old Halfords one I had problem with, once at bottom and stopped clearly wanted to adjust once the now blue disc had cooled down. The disc were round with no tag on them, I have every intention of swapping the discs on new e-bike, but now aware not really a problem.

Top Bottom