Disc Rotor Sizing Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS that's a jump bike ?

fossyant

140 / 160 is usually the smallest and fairly common. I have a 170 on my Boardman Pro at the front and that's unusual.

Go take a close look at the rotors, the size will be stamped on them.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

140 / 160 is usually the smallest and fairly common. I have a 170 on my Boardman Pro at the front and that's unusual.

Go take a close look at the rotors, the size will be stamped on them.
In which case ( due to the rarity of the 150mm) should I just leave the stock rotors on ??

fossyant

Until you can find some, yes, leave it on. I'm struggling to find full specs.

Very little info on disc size on the web - I've looked.. Unless you've got the bike near, then the size is usually printed on them.

Ride it, not pimp it ! :tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member

Very little info on disc size on the web - I've looked.. Unless you've got the bike near, then the size is usually printed on them.

Specification
Name: Ryde (09)
Built by: Norco
Price: £799.00
Description The specifications are for the medium model of this bike.
Available Colours: Green
Available Sizes: M S
Bottom Bracket: Howitzer Spline BB
Brakes: Mechanical, 6" rotor
Cassette: Sram PG-830, 8 speed, 11-28T
Chain: Z-72
Cranks: Ruktion, 34T, Black Spire NSX 1 guide, black guard
Fork: Dirt Jumper 3, 100 mm of travel
Frame Material: 4130 butted chromoly, slotted dropout, integrated headset, integrated seatpost clamp
Front Hub: Alloy disc hub, blue ano
Grips/Tape: Norco custom design, blue
Handlebar: Full Bore 710 x 65 mm rise, 25.4 mm, black
Head Angle: 69.5
Headset Type: Impact 8D integrated
Pedals: Oddessey Twisted pedal black plastic
Rear Derailleur: X-5, 8 speed, medium cage
Rear Hub: 135 x 10 mm nutted, 8 spd 32h, blue ano
Rims: Alien Nation PBR 26" , 32 hole black
Saddle: Pivotal thin seat, Norco custom design cover, hollow bolt
Seat Angle: 72
Seatpost: Pivotal Tron alloy post 25.4
Shifters: X-5 trigger, 8 speed rear
Stem: Rippa, 45 mm ext. black
Weight: (kg) 15.5
Brake Levers: Tektro MT-2.1 alloy
Spoke Type: Stainless black 2.0

&
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2009&brand=Norco&model=Ryde

Last edited:
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Okay, I don't usually upgrade my bikes in any way but (as I said I am a rookie) so wanted to see how difficult upgrading was. I usually ride a bike stock but thought a blue anodised rotor would set it apart from the rest.
Thanks for the help as always @fossyant :becool:

Tim Hall

Okay, I don't usually upgrade my bikes in any way but (as I said I am a rookie) so wanted to see how difficult upgrading was. I usually ride a bike stock but thought a blue anodised rotor would set it apart from the rest.
Thanks for the help as always @fossyant :becool:
Umm, aren't brake discs steel? And anodising a treatment normally carried out to aluminium? Or as it says here:
Is it Possible to Anodise Steel?
Anodising is an electrolytic process which coats a metal substrate with a protective oxide layer. The anodised coating on aluminium increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, is electrically insulative, provides a good key for paint or adhesive and is often used as a decorative finish. The oxide layer that forms on iron or carbon steel is commonly known as rust, which readily flakes off and actually promotes the corrosion of the underlying material. So an anodising process for steel would not be terribly useful.

So good luck with finding an anodised brake disc (won't the colour rub off anyway?)
(waits to be proved wrong as usual)

classic33

Leg End Member
Umm, aren't brake discs steel? And anodising a treatment normally carried out to aluminium? Or as it says here:

So good luck with finding an anodised brake disc (won't the colour rub off anyway?)
Depends on the actual mount, which may be aluminiun whilst the rotor is steel.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I hadn't though of that ... I always thought that the high quality 'coloured' brakes (such as those from Hope) were anodised.

Top Bottom