Disc rubbing brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I just bought a boardman hybrid pro and the front wheel disc is rubbing the brake pads quite a lot, how do you stop this?

If it is new take it back to Halfords for them to fix.

02GF74

Über Member
look at the disc edge on - you will see gap between one pad and other pad will be touching disc. in this case you need to centralisethe caliper -done either by shims or by undoing a bolt.

if is it new bike, then the shop should do it under warranty anyways - how far is ahlfords from you?

tandemman

Back off the bolts securing the caliper to the frame, when the caliper is loose, pull the lever on firmly and keep it on using a cable tie or toe strap, then tighten the caliper fixing bolts, job done

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the brake caliper has a central joining seam the brake disc should line up with the seam. You can shim the caliper mounts to get this right.

If the rubbing is irregular you can bend the disc gently with a well padded wrench until you get it straight.

If the rubbing is gentle and constant, just ride the bike as the pads are new and will soon wear a little especially in wet gritty conditions.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
skwerl said:
don't shop at Halfords

Lets not blaspheme.

User3143 said:
You mean to tell me you ride like ''a piranha out on the street'' but do not know to adjust a disk brake. :laugh:GTFO Amateur

Yes i ride like a piranha, thats why they call me the peddling piranha on the street.

I still got a lot to learn about the technical workings of a bicycle however.

skwerl

in all seriousness and as an attempt to help you shed your troll reputation:

when you say it's rubbing how bad is it? If you spin the wheel does it grind to a halt quickly? or is it just making a slight grinding noise?
they work the same way as car brakes (assuming they're hydraulic and I think yours are - haven't checked) in that when you release the lever the pads back off slightly as the pressure is relieved but they are supposed to sit in minimal conatct with the discs. spin a car wheel and you'll hear light rubbing also.

if, on the other hand, the wheel grinds to a fairly quick halt then it would be because the caliper is binding on it's runners and not backing off

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
skwerl said:
in all seriousness and as an attempt to help you shed your troll reputation:

when you say it's rubbing how bad is it? If you spin the wheel does it grind to a halt quickly? or is it just making a slight grinding noise?
they work the same way as car brakes (assuming they're hydraulic and I think yours are - haven't checked) in that when you release the lever the pads back off slightly as the pressure is relieved but they are supposed to sit in minimal conatct with the discs. spin a car wheel and you'll hear light rubbing also.

if, on the other hand, the wheel grinds to a fairly quick halt then it would be because the caliper is binding on it's runners and not backing off

It was rubbing really bad, if you spun the wheel by hand it would make about a quarter rotation.

When i said i went to an LBS yesterday, the one who slagged off boardman the whole time this is why. I could have taken it to Halfords but i thought i would try another LBS. Anyway it works now is awesome. I love teh boardman!

Trumpettom001

Ooooooo I'll jump on the "don't shop at halfords band wagon"...... was made to wait 4 weeks for my bike - and I mean MADE to wait - i had an absolute budget and the only bike that had everything I wanted was at good old hallies........ Also, don't let them set the bike up, I've seena couple bikes they have "professionally assembled" -- namely with the front forks on backwards...... pah

there all done, I feel better now

Blazey, they say you ride like a Piranha.
Can you explain in a little more depth the bicycle riding style of a South American fresh-water predatory fish and which specific characteristics you share.
And who are 'they'?

Top Bottom