Disc rubbing brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
mickle said:
Blazey, they say you ride like a Piranha.
Can you explain in a little more depth the bicycle riding style of a South American fresh-water predatory fish and which specific characteristics you share.
And who are 'they'?

i rode like a Piranha to the chipshop the other day. the characteristic being shared on that occasion was that the rain was so heavy i felt like i was underwater:tongue:

I think it means he cycles around aimlessly in a school of other cyclists occasionally attacking other road users. If the one being attacked is another cyclist, no matter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is this the same bike that you're complaining about with the mismatched gears / chainset?

I'm surprised you didn't spot either of these glaringly obvious faults on your test ride when you picked the bike up. Becuase you must have test-rode it, surely...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
blazed said:
I just bought a boardman hybrid pro and the front wheel disc is rubbing the brake pads quite a lot, how do you stop this?

If you slacken the fixing bolts to move the caliper block in or out be sure to get it straight in line with the disc rotor afterwards. You can do this by slipping a credit card into the gap get someone to apply the brake and hold it on while you retighten the bolts.

If you get the alignment wrong braking will be poor as the whole pad wont be contacting the disc also the pads will; wear away very quickly.

PS learnt the above the hard way:blush:

Above method is for Cable disc brake.I've never owned a hydraulic brake.

PPS I think its unfair to blame halfords for the brakes on a new bike needing adjusting.My new bike from an LBS was superbly set up when new but brakes very soon needed adjusting due to bedding in/cables stretching

Guvnor

Not unfair to blame halfords at all as i have the same bike and the same problem! taking it to a proper shop to get sorted properley as i've not got a clue about the technical stuff:blush:

Mark_Robson

tandemman said:
Back off the bolts securing the caliper to the frame, when the caliper is loose, pull the lever on firmly and keep it on using a cable tie or toe strap, then tighten the caliper fixing bolts, job done
+1
And IMO Halfords wont know or care that you tried to fix it yourself if you have to take it back.

Top Bottom