Discover Rutland Sat 12th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Starting in Oakham the County Town of Rutland at the railway station at 10am, an easy 40 miles stopping at The Windmill Cafe [as featured in this months Cycling Plus with a bike shop next door] and finishing with a great view of Rutland Water. At the end of the ride there will be a chance to fettle your bike should it need attention. If this is successful the next one will follow in short order but on a Sunday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Starting in Oakham the County Town of Rutland at the railway station at 10am, an easy 40 miles stopping at The Windmill Cafe [as featured in this months Cycling Plus with a bike shop next door] and finishing with a great view of Rutland Water. At the end of the ride there will be a chance to fettle your bike should it need attention. If this is successful the next one will follow in short order but on a Sunday.
Sounds great Steve, but I won't be back down in the Midlands until the New Year so I'll have to pass on this one. I hope you get a good turnout for it after all that was said on your 'forum rides' thread!

I think it would probably be better for bike fettling to take place before rides, not after them!

I was rather embarrassed by the horrid noises coming from my s/s bike last Sunday. I agree with you - bikes should be near enough silent. I once rode up a 1,000 m climb in Spain behind someone with a squeaking bike and it almost drove me mad. Unfortunately, our climbing speeds were identical so I couldn't get away from him, and I didn't want to stop and let him get away from me!

I agree about the bike fettling but if I offered to sort some ones bike out before the ride we might never start, was really thinking that if anyone [assuming there is someone
sad.gif
] needs help after the ride with position etc I could help sort it out, it has happened many times in the past.

D

Deleted member 1258

Put me down as interested, I wont know for certain till closer to the date. Normally Saturday is a rest day plus shopping and chores day, but the Mrs and eldest lad are planning a shopping trip so I might be able to get out.

When I say easy, I mean easy, a sightseeing pootle. As a matter of interest I did a 26 mile ride on a Saturday last week and was passed by 25 cars [sad that I counted I know] did a different 25 miles mid week and just 8 cars passed me. Virtually anyone can manage this.

I do use my mountain bike very occasionally on the road but I always put semi-slicks on it, if you have the standard big knobbly tyres you will struggle to stay with a road or even hybrid bike. If that is all you have ever ridden you are in for a very pleasant surprise when you ride something lighter and better rolling, chalk and cheese really.

ColinJ

I do use my mountain bike very occasionally on the road but I always put semi-slicks on it, if you have the standard big knobbly tyres you will struggle to stay with a road or even hybrid bike. If that is all you have ever ridden you are in for a very pleasant surprise when you ride something lighter and better rolling, chalk and cheese really.
I'd second that. I once rode my mountain bike 17 miles to a bike shop to order a new racing bike and then rode 17 miles home. 34 miles on big knobblies felt harder than a 50 mile ride does on my road bikes.

Andy500

Count me in.

Andy500

gary in derby

Have changed the tyres, so rolls better on the road. Have managed 20 miles so far. Getting a tourer in the new year, so not sure if I should wait full then?

Gary

Sorry Gary, you are asking an impossible question, the only thing I can suggest is to maybe make contact with another experienced CC'er who is in your area [use the member map?] and ask their advice. I would love to say yes you will be fine and riding with others is always easier and more sociable, you don't notice the miles ticking by. There is a bale out point from the cafe at about two thirds distance.
Oh and welcome Andy!

ColinJ

Have changed the tyres, so rolls better on the road. Have managed 20 miles so far. Getting a tourer in the new year, so not sure if I should wait full then?

Gary
I think the important question is 'How did you feel after your 20 mile ride?' If you felt absolutely exhausted then clearly you would really struggle with 40 miles. If you felt fresh and full of energy, then a 40 mile forum ride should be fine as long as you eat and drink enough to keep you going.

Top Bottom