Discs or Vs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Membrane said:
<Robert de Niro>Are you talking to me?</Robert de Niro> (quote please)

Answering as if you were: v's aren't better or inferior to discs, both have pros and cons. What works best for a given situation depends on a fair number of variables. Let's leave it to the OP to decide what is likely to work best for him.

Sure thing, sounds like the OP was ignooring my ranting anyway LOL!

I wasn't really talking to you either Membrane, it was more of a general rant, which is now over :blush:

cupoftea

Kona did a touring road bike (Edit it might have been a cyclocross bike) with disk brakes and drop bars last year

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
Sure thing, sounds like the OP was ignooring my ranting anyway LOL!

I wasn't ignoring anyone LOL.

I think there are good arguments for both. My commute is totally road, only 3miles and all uphill on the way home. I have picked up a couple of MTB wheels with disks and they seemed quite heavy compared to my non disk mtb wheel. I am leaning towards a Spesh Sirrus ( other post) and I think I will see how this goes and then maybe get hydro disks on the replacement for that. I have old cantis on my current commuter so pretty much anything will be an improvment lol.

Rich

Membrane

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I wasn't really talking to you either Membrane, it was more of a general rant, which is now over :blush:

Oops, sorry :tongue:

I couldn't make sense of your earlier "I wouldn't bother with disc brakes on a £500 commuter" post with your later "why would you not get discs" post.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
I think is was a case of if I spend £500 on a bike with discs the other components/frame will suffer, whereas if I spend £500 without discs the components/frame should be better..
Rich

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
GEARGH! I have having this argument with one of my friends last night over a couple of beers.

Its not about extra power, its about the ability to have incredibly fine control over your braking power.

p.s. I very much doubt that you can lock your front wheel in the dry.

Well, maybe not quite lock the front. I can brake harder than feels safe, and have had it slide away a little once. Maybe that proves I could use a little finer control!:blush:

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
I think it is also a valid point that it does make a bike look more 'stealable' even though most tealeafs can't tell the difference between cheap cr*p cable disks and decent hydros..

Top Bottom