Discussion about speed cameras.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I only have one speed camera near me and last summer I tried to make it flash in the evening (only 30mph limit). I thought I was going to beat it but only did 27 through it.

There is one speed triggered sign on my friend's road which is a 30 limit which I have triggered at about 27 I think, though I'm usually doing about 29 (apart from the week they resurfaced it ... when it changed to about 5 mph). That's about my limit for that particular road due to the bends and parked cars. (Why anyone would want to park their car there I don't know since I've seen various accidents - we always park on a side road when we visit in the car).

old bell

There are 2 30mph speed cameras on my twice weekly training run, both on slight downhills, where I am often going close to or even over the limit.

However, although I would love to know whether I made a camera flash, there are 2 problems.
Firstly, when I am going that fast I couldn't dare look back to see a flash, for fear of crashing.
Secondly, even though the speed limit is 30mph I am sure the cameras are set higher, to give motorists some leeway.

There are 2 30mph speed cameras on my twice weekly training run, both on slight downhills, where I am often going close to or even over the limit.

However, although I would love to know whether I made a camera flash, there are 2 problems.
Firstly, when I am going that fast I couldn't dare look back to see a flash, for fear of crashing.
Secondly, even though the speed limit is 30mph I am sure the cameras are set higher, to give motorists some leeway.

You wouldn't have to look backwards. The double flash from the camera is extremely noticeable, even in daylight!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
(apart from the week they resurfaced it ... when it changed to about 5 mph).
I made a major mistake on a rmain road recently when they were resurfacing it. I knew the road was dug up but didnt think it was as rough as it was.
I was heading towards it at 20mph, hit the rough bit, and lost all control of the bike. I managed to wrestle the monster to a traffic island in the middle of the road where I jumped up onto the shared use path. I was lucky there was noone behind me because I decellerated very quickly.
That taught me not to go head long on a rough road. I was amazed I didnt get a puncture

Bicycle

A few years ago, I was on a local loop with my middle son, then aged 12.

There's a steep, steep drop into flood meadows and then a mile of straight before a speed warning that flashes to slow down if you're doing over 25mph.

My boy went down the hill like a cut cat and just THREW himself at maxing out. Out of the saddle, head going every which way... shoulders all over the place. He looked like a mini version of the Tashkent Psychopath.

Eventually he slowed and sort of flopped.

He'd hit 32 on the hill and had wanted to make the sign flash. We usually do that road in a car, so he'd imagined it was only a couple of hundred yards from hill to warning sign. :blush:

We were still 12 miles from home. I was impressed with the gumption but amused at the naivity.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The manchester cycle chatters have been known to set off 30 mph signs reading 40 mph !!!!

PS the North Wales Police like their speed camera's very much !!!

mark c

Über Member
was,nt it the North wales police chief the one who thought all speeders should be locked up and then got caught speeding him self ?:wacko:

Top Bottom