Discussion: Would you rather restore or recondition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The problem is finding one cheap !
I dunno some of @shadaboot27 's bikes look like they've been dredged out of the 'cut', he does a good job on them though. :becool:

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Satiating eh? Sounds somewhat salacious!
If I restored something to showroom condition I'd be frightened to ride it! Admittedly I'm not looking for really rare machines

Like this for instance, it was stripped, cleaned, brush painted, put back together and made fully functional. From a distance it looks nice and it can be ridden without worry of scratching or damaging it :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I get all of mine very cheap to be honest.

The best example being this, a 1935 Raleigh Golden Arrow Super Sport, £50! Add another 0 to that and that's how much I sold it for after a simple clean. The bargains are out there you just have to keep looking.

Attachments

• goldenarrowsupersport002.jpg
    goldenarrowsupersport002.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 38
  • goldenarrowsupersport009.jpg
    goldenarrowsupersport009.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 35
  • goldenarrowsupersport013.jpg
    goldenarrowsupersport013.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 34
U

User32269

I would choose to recondition where possible. Love the patina, makes it unique.

Mrs O would just prefer I stopped bringing skip finds home and explaining to her the beauty of skinny rusty frames.

If its something special, and i had the cash to do it justice, showroom restoration would get me excited though!

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I would choose to recondition where possible. Love the patina, makes it unique.

Mrs O would just prefer I stopped bringing skip finds home and explaining to her the beauty of skinny rusty frames.

If its something special, and i had the cash to do it justice, showroom restoration would get me excited though!

I agree, if I had the money I would sometimes go all out on full on restorations. I've never actually done it, simply because it's so damn expensive. Because if I was going to fully restore a bike I would want to do it properly, pro paint job, replica decals, all chrome parts re-chromed, the works, but doing this costs an arm and a leg.

U

User32269

I have old Quinn's road bike. Came to me with a triple and sti levers. I love riding it...but...would love to have original chainset, gears & down tube shifters for it.
Would just look better to me!

U

User32269

Need a job like mine that gets you into peoples garages!
I've got really nice bikes for free or a nominal £10 or £20.

Daddybus

Über Member
My bike has has hardly any paint left on it! & yet after almost 70 years I wouldn't consider any of the rust on it anything like serious or structural... It lives outside under a cover & gets a 2 minute oil spray wipe over every now & again ...keeps the rust at bay (& maybe I'm addicted to the smell of GT85...^_^) So much less stress than worrying about scuffs & scratches. I vote refurb not resto...

Attachments

• IMG_20151101_161901.jpg
    IMG_20151101_161901.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

My bike has has hardly any paint left on it! & yet after almost 70 years I wouldn't consider any of the rust on it anything like serious or structural... It lives outside under a cover & gets a 2 minute oil spray wipe over every now & again ...keeps the rust at bay (& maybe I'm addicted to the smell of GT85...^_^) So much less stress than worrying about scuffs & scratches. I vote refurb not resto...

That's very nice! I once had a similar one that I never got round to finishing. I would love another Rudge racing bike!

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 34
What do you do if at some point in the bikes history a previous owner has perhaps had it resprayed a different colour? Do you then return it to its original condition or do you preserve what it has become?

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

What do you do if at some point in the bikes history a previous owner has perhaps had it resprayed a different colour? Do you then return it to its original condition or do you preserve what it has become?

100% put it back to how it originally was! If I find a bike that has been really badly painted in the past, that for me is a perfect excuse for a restoration! The originality is already gone so you may aswel try to save it and put it back how it should be.

Top Bottom