Discussion: Would you rather restore or recondition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but you can do what i would call "a half arsed" restoration, where you just remove all the rust, brush paint it with hammerite and get it ridable and clean looking, then you can ride it all you like without having to worry.
That's not nearly half arsed enough for my likes! I'd argue against hammerite personally, but I think the bikes I'm into (70s/80s racing bikes) look better "scarred" rather than hammerited

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

That's not nearly half arsed enough for my likes! I'd argue against hammerite personally, but I think the bikes I'm into (70s/80s racing bikes) look better "scarred" rather than hammerited

Hammerite works well on the really old 30's/40's bikes, it's durable and it retains the rustic vintage look. I would normally not use it but if your after an acceptable, clean looking bike that you can use without worry of scratching it's perfect.

100% put it back to how it originally was! If I find a bike that has been really badly painted in the past, that for me is a perfect excuse for a restoration! The originality is already gone so you may aswel try to save it and put it back how it should be.

What if the bike had been professionally resprayed? It may be that the original colour may have been drab or not to the owners liking. I am in a similar situation with a frame I bought for parts and am now feeling sorry for it. It is an old BSA Tour De France, not one of the most exotic machines in orange with brash graphics. I am sure that it would look a lot better in a new paint scheme.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

What if the bike had been professionally resprayed? It may be that the original colour may have been drab or not to the owners liking. I am in a similar situation with a frame I bought for parts and am now feeling sorry for it. It is an old BSA Tour De France, not one of the most exotic machines in orange with brash graphics. I am sure that it would look a lot better in a new paint scheme.

I guess it's totally down to the owner of the frame what he does with it. If it's not particularly rare or valuable then go ahead and paint it. I've had a few racing bikes that I've had professionally repainted in the different coulor to what it was originally. I really like to customize the more modern bikes I get.

stevevw

Guru
I am in the process of building a pair of James Fothergill bikes both bought as framesets only. The first a 50's is in primer with a dent in the top tube and one of the fork legs bent, so I have no real option but to repair and refinish. the second which is just pre or post WW2 came repainted as a Ribble with the addition of brazeon's for brake cables, gear cable BB guide, chain stay cable stop and finally half of a Campagnolo rear dropout has been brazed on to the Chater Lea dropout for a derailuer hanger. All the work to a high standard and the paint is not bad at all. Now my question to you all what would you do in this instance Leave as is and use or return to stock?

Now my question to you all what would you do in this instance Leave as is and use or return to stock?
Apart from the cost involved, I see it pretty much the same as showing the patina of a hard, but well loved life; my claud majestic, while not having had quite such a remodelling, has been professionally resprayed at some point in its life, and I'm considering increasing its useability by giving it some climbing gears - continuous use promotes continuous improvement

stevevw

Guru
Mikey I will wait for a few more opinions then reveal my decision.

I may even get round to doing a couple of build threads for these two.

I have no other option than to respray my brothers Holdsworth Monsoon since he started rubbing down the rust spots. I have found a Cagiva motorcycle orange which is spot on for the banding and a moss green candy for the frame. The major concern is the gold Holdsworth lettering which is a different style to that which is obtainable. I may have to resort to an old areomodelling trick of lacquering the gummed side of parcel tape and painting the letters on that.

Attachments

• monsoon 1703.JPG
    monsoon 1703.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
I have no other option than to respray my brothers Holdsworth Monsoon since he started rubbing down the rust spots. I have found a Cagiva motorcycle orange which is spot on for the banding and a moss green candy for the frame. The major concern is the gold Holdsworth lettering which is a different style to that which is obtainable. I may have to resort to an old areomodelling trick of lacquering the gummed side of parcel tape and painting the letters on that.
I'm currently experimenting with chrome(ish) vinyl and lacquered printed paper to imitate Carlton's imichrome transfers for a frame I'm going to build into a winter/light tourer. Here's my first attempt - the blade could've been sharper and I've lost the middle bits of the letters. Oh, and the white isnt stuck down, hence the funny-looking "T" Luckily it doesn't have to be brilliant cos the frame isn't that great, which is why I thought I'd have a play!
IMAG0210_zpszp9cbg15.jpg

So
I'm currently experimenting with chrome(ish) vinyl and lacquered printed paper to imitate Carlton's imichrome transfers for a frame I'm going to build into a winter/light tourer. Here's my first attempt - the blade could've been sharper and I've lost the middle bits of the letters. Oh, and the white isnt stuck down, hence the funny-looking "T" Luckily it doesn't have to be brilliant cos the frame isn't that great, which is why I thought I'd have a play!
IMAG0210_zpszp9cbg15.jpg
Expert eh? What do you use for a good knock-free finish?
Expert eh? What do you use for a good knock-free finish?
That is a pretty good go at making that sticker are you using a scalpel and a cutting mat. As for chip free paint finish, it is still work in progress although we have achieved a hard finish using 2 pack cooked at 200C for an hour, but it is nasty stuff and you should use an air fed mask.

Top Bottom