Disguise your bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How do gold rated locks make it easy for them? Their gold rated by the insurance companies.
They're gold rated by a brand licensing company owned by a locksmiths association. Not cyclists. The licensing requirements are known to manufacturers, are rather too centred on the lock rather than overall security and there have been a couple of examples of gold rated locks that were shoot over the years. By all means get a gold branded lock if your insurer foolishly only cares about that, but I'd put more weight on cyclist reviews including attack tests.

Mb49

Regular
They're gold rated by a brand licensing company owned by a locksmiths association. Not cyclists. The licensing requirements are known to manufacturers, are rather too centred on the lock rather than overall security and there have been a couple of examples of gold rated locks that were shoot over the years. By all means get a gold branded lock if your insurer foolishly only cares about that, but I'd put more weight on cyclist reviews including attack tests.
All well and good , but if the insurance company says gold rated locks for bikes over x amount, what you gonna do?

mjr

All well and good , but if the insurance company says gold rated locks for bikes over x amount, what you gonna do?
Find a better insurer. It'll probably be cheaper because they won't be paying out for so many expensive bikes stolen while locked with stuff that's main distinguishing feature is the manufacturer paying locksmiths for a licence to use the "sold secure" trademark. :thumbsup:

What lock(s) would you recommend for a high end bike?

mjr

What lock(s) would you recommend for a high end bike?
A really high end bike I wouldn't lock on the streets! Only in a locked room or locker with two locks from the LFGSS list, ideally to a wall or ground anchor with some sort of motion alarm watching it. I may be paranoid but I've not had a bike stolen yet and the only one gone at my household was locked with someone else's flipping recommended lock.

Top Bottom