Disk brakes on a folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

@berlinonaut being polite to other people, specially those who know less than you is a lifestyle. Guess something your parents didn’t teach you about.

berlinonaut

Veteran
@berlinonaut being polite to other people, specially those who know less than you is a lifestyle.
Biting the hand that feeds you and insulting the people that know more than you (and from whose knowledge you profited in the past) is also a lifestyle. Just not a very clever one.

Guess something your parents didn’t teach you about.
You do request politeness and next in the same sentence insult my parents. Enough ist enough. I think your behaviour is toxic to this forum and you should be banned. Harshly and directly. The first time in more than 30 years on the net that I do such a statement.

Different culture. More direct.
Yup. Sometimes more direct is rude. Sometimes it is painful. Sometimes it is helpful. Sometimes it is the only appropriate way. Like in this posting.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

@berlinonaut I think you overestimate your importance to me calling yourself the hand that feeds. Believe it or not you’re not the only one in this world who can assist with technical questions regarding folding bikes. I didn’t insult you or your parents. Just being direct, the way you like it. It’s not pleasant, but I think it’s important for you to know, no matter how many years you’re on this forum.

Toxic. Thank you, exactly the word I was looking for to describe the environment you created for me on this forum. I already requested yesterday forum mods to delete my account, so don’t bother.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
@berlinonaut I think you overestimate your importance to me calling yourself the hand that feeds. Believe it or not you’re not the only one in this world who can assist with technical questions regarding folding bikes.
And I am not the only one you insulted...

I didn’t insult you or your parents.
If this
@berlinonaut being polite to other people, specially those who know less than you is a lifestyle. Guess something your parents didn’t teach you about.
was no insult in your opinion but your normal way of communication I wonder even more what on earth you complain about with others.

Toxic. Thank you, exactly the word I was looking for to describe the environment you created for me on this forum. I already requested yesterday forum mods to delete my account, so don’t bother.

So you are trying once more playing the victim role, being unwilling or unable to reflect about and to take responsibility for your actions and behaviour but instead accusing me being responsible for it. Even on your way out you still try your toxic messaging and ad hominem attacking, trying to cause as much damage as possible. For me and for the forum. Wont work. It seems indeed better that you leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: u_i

berlinonaut

Veteran
You were the only one crying and asking to ban me. Go have a life already.

Jesus. You said you decided already yesterday to leave this forum. Why on earth are you still posting then?
The only person constantly whining was you, not me... While at the same time insiting on your "right" to post wrong facts uncorrected (because you are an engineer), reading things that were not written, complaining and riding ad-hominem attacks in a row and thinking he would be the center of the world and everything that is written in the forum here would directly and exclusively be an attack to him. You vastly overestimate your relevance in this forum.
After your ad-hominem attack yesterday I stated:
I think your behaviour is toxic to this forum and you should be banned.
I did neither ask to ban you nor notify a mod. This is, what one calls an "Opinion". Possibly your constant mental constructions are part of the mental problems that you seem to suffer from.

Oh, and thanks: I do have a life. What about you?

Last edited:

tinywheels

Über Member
I am at a loss to understand this bizarre affair.
It is somewhat sad that it came to this.
If a bit of idle banter provokes such a reaction, then perhaps some inward reflection may be useful.
On the other hand, I cannot say it wasn't amusing on some level.
If anyone has been offended by something I've said,suck it up buttercup. Put on your big boy pants and learn to deal with differing opinions.

yoho oy

Weird people. You want Brompton to be a 1000 things. I don't see any problem with a Brompton as it is. Easier to buy spare parts when bike model is almost the same for number of years. In worst case scenario there are aftermarket mods. Sure, they are not cheap, but who said that Brompton has to be cheap. A lot of things that people request for add weight or interfere with a fold. The only negative what I see for rim brakes is that from time to time it will require change of a rim or a wheel. The biggest issue with that is price- rims are not that cheap. I took one very steep and long hill for a few times and could see how it could become significant expenditure. Assuming cheapest route- 2 rims £28x2 (reuse of spokes, and all the hardware, DIY), so it is minimum £56. But then - disk break pads are not that cheap either, and rim break pads are a bargain.

yoho oy

There is a chap who bought Brompton clone (Litepro) a while ago. He has updates on his channel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFhOzGkLlk

Back in a day I was looking into Brompton alternatives, but the price point I was looking at was £400+. Some of the clones were at that price delivered. His purchase turned out more than £900 while real 6 speed Brompton at that time was £1415 or a bit cheaper (£1395 I think) if not from Brompton. £900+ for a subpar product is hardly a bargain. I am happy with real Brompton.

berlinonaut

Veteran
regarding brake power: With the rim brakes (2008+ version) I only once suffered from unsufficient braking and that was when going a very (!) steep downhill at speed, fully loaded and heavy T-bag on the front and with a 30+kg trailer attached. In this situation it was not possible to come to a standstill adequately. Once, in roughly oneandahalf decades of almost daily use of Bromptons.
No doubt disc brakes are fine and do offer more break power - but it is in everyday use just not necessary on a Brompton. Possibly the cry for disc brakes is once more the result from old messaging: Before the MK3 was invented in 2000 the Brompton brakes were truly terrible. Starting from 2000 this enhanced massively. In 2000 the front caliper was changed to DualPivot, the rear followed in late 2007. Next the brake cables changed to Jagwire and finally the levers changed to todays shape in 2013 (which in itself was a massive improvement). I do consider the brakes absolutely sufficient, even more if you use something like Koolstop salmon or SiwssStop Blue brake pads. When tuning levers, cables and pads even pre-2000 Bromptons learn how to break properly with their wonky calipers (including the red entry-level C-model that used the old-style calipers until end of production in 2007).
Bikes in Europe have to fulfill various ISO-norms and one of them is about the brake power. The Brompton complies to these norms, thus one can assume that the level of brake power is officially considered sufficient. On the other hand: Over the years Brompton have I think lowered the max weight of rider and luggage by something like 20kg if I remember correctly. This may have had to do with those norms for breaking.

Regarding disk brakes: If something is not properly adjusted with them they can drive you nuts. Especially with things like squeezing in the wet.

Rim wear with rim brakes on the other hand is there, but often vastly overestimated. A couple of years ago I asked around a couple of long term Brompton riders and it turned out that most of them had to change them around the 20k km mark. Some had far higher values, some way lower ones. It obviously depends a lot from riding style, riding conditions and rider weight. Also, Brompton have changed the rim models a couple of times over the years. Still I'd say a min of 10k km is a pretty safe bet for most riders. Still there are some who have to change earlier, but anything in the world can be broken when treated improperly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom