Dismantling Shimano Rapidfire shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes but are they JIS or plain old plain old?
Dunno, but the largest cross point is a very nice fit in the screw head so they could be.

Bobario

Veteran
If yours are the same as mine there's a small plastic screw at the back used for changing the cables, you could open this and spray something in to see if it frees up. It's on the opposite side of the main body to where the cable comes out, behind the triggers. I only found this after I took the top off one of mine to change the cable and the innards fell out onto the floor. Putting it back together was very fiddly and involved lots of head scratching, but if it was impossible how would they assemble them in the first place? Took me about 45 mins to get it right and it's still working 4 or 5 years later. Though I probably wouldn't try it again or recommend a complete disassembly to anyone else.

Very good advice that. Those screws are proprietary and not replaceable with something from a hardware shop. Also, they have JIS (semi) Philips heads which are very easily destroyed by standard Philips or Pozi screwdrivers. Ideally you need JIS but...
Ah, didn't know, that explains why i trashed on of my screws.

If yours are the same as mine there's a small plastic screw at the back used for changing the cables, you could open this and spray something in to see if it frees up. It's on the opposite side of the main body to where the cable comes out, behind the triggers. I only found this after I took the top off one of mine to change the cable and the innards fell out onto the floor. Putting it back together was very fiddly and involved lots of head scratching, but if it was impossible how would they assemble them in the first place? Took me about 45 mins to get it right and it's still working 4 or 5 years later. Though I probably wouldn't try it again or recommend a complete disassembly to anyone else.
You are talking about the ones with no cover I assume. If so, I am thankfully not as clever as you as I couldn't figure out an easy way of opening them up. Am leaving well alone at the mo, they are excellent shifters, R440, R441.

Edit, let us know how you get on andy.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the thoughts and links. I'll watch the videos as and when I get a few minutes and I'll attack the shifters if I have time on the weekend. Actually, I have Friday off so I may be able to work something out then.

Edit, let us know how you get on andy.

Will report back on progress -or velocity of the resulting explosion.

Dunno, but the largest cross point is a very nice fit in the screw head so they could be.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/jis-screwdrivers/

https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-screwdriver-dsd-2?category=General Shop Tools

If you have ever tried to use a standard Philips on a Shimano caliper brake's balance screw, you would have discovered the little buggers. You can still get away with the JIS limit screws on a RD, but the brake screw is usually very toit and problematic.

Top Bottom