Disposing of old batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I went to a lecture on incinerators today, where the speaker said that incredibly, people still throw batteries in the rubbish bin. I felt a bit uncomfortable because that's what I do. So, where are you supposed to get rid of them?

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Sainsbury's and Waitrose both have bins for batteries near the entrance, in most branches I think.

DTD

Veteran
Notice Edinburgh Bicycle Coop recycles batteries etc. Also seen it in the poundshop.
Better still, use rechargeables.

ASC1951

Guru
Better still, use rechargeables.
No environmental advantage.

perplexed

Guru
As I understand it, any shop that sells batteries is expected to have a collection point for batteries to be recycled.

I think, to be strictly accurate, they have to sell more than "X" amount, to be required to have a recycling bin.

Although I agree, any shop selling batteries should have a recycling bin. We've got one at work, so I sling mine in there. :biggrin:

No environmental advantage.

Really?

An independent study conducted in 2008 by Uniross, a European manufacturer of rechargeable batteries, says that rechargeable batteries have up to 32 times less of an impact on the environment as compared to disposable batteries. When disposable batteries are thrown out, they end up in landfills and release dangerous, toxic chemicals into the environment. Because rechargeable batteries can be reused hundreds of times instead of just once and then thrown away, the impact and waste on the environment is greatly decreased. This fact also makes rechargeable batteries more cost effective, since less money is spent buying disposable batteries when they die. This study also found that another important environmental advantage of rechargeable batteries is that they have up to 28 times less of an impact on global warming and 30 times less of an impact on air pollution.

Top Bottom