Disposing of old film cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

Theres some of us still using film now and again.

Not sure about the second hand market though.

Funny you mention it, I brought out an old Canon SLR with some B&W film the other day to take some snow shots. I never did get round to learning how to process film, so will have to find somewhere to process the shots. I also had my DSLR. Don't seem to have used a camera much this year.. when I have its been a snappy (Canon Ixus 100) small shirt pocket (Cycling back pocket) one. SLRs of either type -Film/Digital are great, but a bit big to bring on the Marmotte.

I love old film cameras, and although it's been thinned down a lot I have a collection. I still use them, there's a permanence to film that you just don't get from a computer screen.

There's a really sad note stuck on all the lamp posts around here. A woman had her house broken into, and they took her laptop and backup drive. In the note she says whoever stole them can keep all the electronic equipment, but asks for the photos of her kids back.

I love old film cameras, and although it's been thinned down a lot I have a collection. I still use them, there's a permanence to film that you just don't get from a computer screen.

There's a really sad note stuck on all the lamp posts around here. A woman had her house broken into, and they took her laptop and backup drive. In the note she says whoever stole them can keep all the electronic equipment, but asks for the photos of her kids back.

I bought a Nikon F100 a while ago, for £100. (£100! That was £900 - worth of camera when it was new!) I used it a bit, and I rather enjoyed having to think about setting up each shot more than I do with the digital camera, but in the end using film just seemed like a bit of an affectation. Plus, it's easy to forget how expensive it is getting films developed compared to plugging your camera into the computer.

I bought a Nikon F100 a while ago, for £100. (£100! That was £900 - worth of camera when it was new!) I used it a bit, and I rather enjoyed having to think about setting up each shot more than I do with the digital camera, but in the end using film just seemed like a bit of an affectation. Plus, it's easy to forget how expensive it is getting films developed compared to plugging your camera into the computer.

MajorMantra

Crappy film point and shoots of the kind that accumulate in charity shops are worthless but cameras that were sold to enthusiasts when they were new (SLRs, TLRs, rangefinders, etc. etc.) are still worth something.

Film is lovely to work with but not all that convenient. One reason that some people still use it is that it tends to force you to slow down and think because you're working with a finite number of frames. Digital is fantastic in many ways but sometimes the temptation is to take thousands of frames and hope you get lucky because of the cost per photo is effectively nil.

Here are a few of my photos on film taken with a variety of kit, all developed myself except for the first one IIRC. (I love having an excuse to post this stuff.)

1934 lens, 1938 camera:

2185153769_d755c5256b.jpg

70s/80s Pentax SLR camera and lens used, 1930s/50s kit pictured:

2413650465_8974b8fecb.jpg

Ditto:

2909086937_4782e94fa7.jpg

Early 2000s rangefinder with 1950s lens:

2747743800_db2c3532b4.jpg

Matthew

MajorMantra

Crappy film point and shoots of the kind that accumulate in charity shops are worthless but cameras that were sold to enthusiasts when they were new (SLRs, TLRs, rangefinders, etc. etc.) are still worth something.

Film is lovely to work with but not all that convenient. One reason that some people still use it is that it tends to force you to slow down and think because you're working with a finite number of frames. Digital is fantastic in many ways but sometimes the temptation is to take thousands of frames and hope you get lucky because of the cost per photo is effectively nil.

Here are a few of my photos on film taken with a variety of kit, all developed myself except for the first one IIRC. (I love having an excuse to post this stuff.)

1934 lens, 1938 camera:

Ditto:

Matthew

MajorMantra

1934 lens, 1938 camera:

Ditto:

Matthew

tyred

Legendary Member
I still regularily use a 35mm SLR.

I only use digital when I plan to email the photos to someone. If I want to print them for me, I use film or slides. I just think it's nicer somehow.

tyred

Legendary Member
I still regularily use a 35mm SLR.

I only use digital when I plan to email the photos to someone. If I want to print them for me, I use film or slides. I just think it's nicer somehow.

Top Bottom