1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disposing of old tyres

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Cycling Naturalist, 22 Aug 2007.

1. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Is there an enviromentally friendly way of disposing of old MTB tyres? The council won't accept them as waste and they've got wire in them.

2. spen666

spen666 Guru

Dump them in the English Waste Bin- I think its known cloqually as Wales

3. chris42

chris42 New Member

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Round where I used to live the (I assume) kids play Hoop-La with them over the lamp posts. Impresses me !

5. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

I give my old Mtb tyres to the urchins who ride around in our road. When I've finished with them, there's still plenty of life left in them for doing long skids up and down the pavement with the other kids on their Halfords bikes.

Surely your butler must have poor families living near him to whom he can give them on your behalf?

6. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

We're Guardian readers, so we pay our staff well enough for them not to have to live near poor families.

7. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

car tyre fitters seem to charge 50p per tyre for "environmental disposal" and I guess they'd be only too please to take 50p for bike tyres.

8. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

take them to a nature spot and burn them, seems to be the way in this country......

9. Peyote

Peyote New Member

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

We need Mrs. Mandela back. Now there was a woman who knew how to dispose of scrap tyres.
    (ahem, allegedly)

11. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Buju Banton came up with a use for them too.........

12. Hugo15

Hugo15 Über Member

Our local tip has a container for tyres. I just chuck mine in there. Assume they just melt them down with the car tyres?

13. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

what do you mean when you say "your council won't accept them as waste"?

I just put the last set in the bin...

14. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Yes and now they will be buried with huge quantities of plastic bottles, boxes and bags to reappear in people's gardens for thousands of years or the apocalypse, whichever is sooner.

15. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

So what?