Dissapointed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

We're going round in circles here:

Graham O said:
Okay, your commute and personal circumstances may mean that a fixed wheel bike is not suitable for you, but why do you criticise all fixed wheel riders who don't admit to a "fashion" reason for riding fixed?
Why do you criticise all my asssertions that riding fixed is mainly to do with fashion?
I'm not saying it's fashion for ALL fixed wheel riders, or any particular ones (read: you), I'm just saying that it just so happens to be the case that, because of the fact that it IS highly fashionable (aswell as possibly having other mechanical reasons which a minority might prefer) that coincidentally most of the people who ride fixed do so for fashion reasons. Perhaps it need stating again, in case you didn't read/digest/understand the caveat the first time: MOST riders of fixed wheel bikes choose to do so for fashion reasons - not ALL of them, or necessarily, any particular ones (read: YOU).

Graham O said:
If you don't want or like fixed wheel, why do you spend so much time on a fixed wheel forum?
If you don't want or like association (possibly falsely) with fasion, then why do you ride a fixed-wheel bike? If you personally know that you have your own mechanical or more tangible reason than fashion for riding fixed, then you should be content with that and not really bothered about the fact that I associate fixed with fashion purposes. The fact that you seem to be one of the people who's not content with that, would appear to suggest that you don't have any more tangible reason than fashion for doing it.

fwiw, I only see updates to this thread 'cos it started out with utterly pompous statements that I just had to rebuke.

Graham O

Why do you criticise all my asssertions that riding fixed is mainly to do with fashion?

You can't answer my "why do you..." question with one of your own. This discussion will never get anywhere without answers. But that assumes that it will get somewhere.:biggrin:

I'm not saying it's fashion for ALL fixed wheel riders, or any particular ones (read: you), I'm just saying that it just so happens to be the case that, because of the fact that it IS highly fashionable (aswell as possibly having other mechanical reasons which a minority might prefer) that coincidentally most of the people who ride fixed do so for fashion reasons. Perhaps it need stating again, in case you didn't read/digest/understand the caveat the first time: MOST riders of fixed wheel bikes choose to do so for fashion reasons - not ALL of them, or necessarily, any particular ones (read: YOU).

At least you are starting to admit that there are different reasons for riding fixed and I detect some reasonableness coming into your arguement. But in that last statement is the cause of this long thread, "or necessarily any particular ones". Yet in earlier posts you have criticised particular people for not admitting to fashion.

then you should be content with that and not really bothered about the fact that I associate fixed with fashion purposes.

The reason for this thread, this forum and much of the internet is to allow like minded people to associate and discuss their common interests. Here, we are all interested in cycling and want to discuss and argue our interests, ideas and theories. Personally I don't care what you think, but when it is put forward as an irrefutable proof, I have wanted to see your evidence but it is pure conjecture. If you think that I should not be bothered by what you think, they why are you bothered by what I and others think. It works both ways.

The fact that you seem to be one of the people who's not content with that, would appear to suggest that you don't have any more tangible reason than fashion for doing it.

I have already told you why I have a fixed bike and yet you are now making assumptions that, in reality, I am just a fashion follower. This is the source of this long thread. The fact that you just tar everyone with the same brush.

fwiw, I only see updates to this thread 'cos it started out with utterly pompous statements that I just had to rebuke.

The world is full of pompous statements and others which sound pompous. However you took exception to statements about the rhythm and feel of fixed, without any knowledge of what it is like when a fixed wheel is up to speed. It really does feel different to a geared bike, but whether it is better or not, I don't know. Just different.

RedBike

Perhaps it need stating again, in case you didn't read/digest/understand the caveat the first time: MOST riders of fixed wheel bikes choose to do so for fashion reasons
Yey...
For about the first time in my life I'm fashionable!

For what it's worth I work in several schools; and believe me in the eyes of the kids the 'fixie' couldn't be any more unfashionable if it tried. Heck, it hasn't even got rear suspension!

I got into fixed gear riding through riding the track. Somehow riding fixed wheel always seems more enjoyable. I know it's an odd comment to make, but somehow you really do feel more connected / a part of the bike.

Top Bottom