Dissapointed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jashburnham

bonj said:
re. singlespeed - surely singlespeed is the WORST of both worlds? Ithought the benefit of fixed was that you get 'rhythm' from the momentum of the bike carrying the cranks movikng forward, but the downside is you don't get gears.
Singlespeed doesn't have gears, but neither does it have 'rhythm'.

But it's low maintenance so excellent as a city commuter bike, especially in the wet and gritty winter. I don't ride fixed on my commute because I'm new to it and don't trust myself riding fixed in traffic. I have a flip flop hub so if I want to ride fixed I can very easily. Best of both worlds.

hichakhok

my steel mercian flexes more than my alu pinarello.

Regarding singlespeed and fixed, for me its about art and beauty and aesthetics..
You either get it and enjoy it, or you don't.

Like learning to play jazz, if you need to ask how, you will never really know.

bonj2

hichakhok said:
Regarding singlespeed and fixed, for me its about art and beauty and aesthetics..
then go to an art gallery?
hichakhok said:
You either get it and enjoy it, or you don't.

Oh, I get it alright. I understand the viewpoint, in fact I understand it better than the fixie brigade themselves do, I just don't share it.
I understand the attraction to it perfectly well thanks. It's purely fashion. All this 'urban chic' and 'street cred' - that's why you do it. OT, but I suspect that's why ACF bans anyone with the remotest possibility of dissent, 'cos they want their forum to 'look' nice.
But what grates on me is the skirting round of admitting this - by using made-up terms like 'rhythm', 'zen', 'art and beaty'.
What's wrong with admitting you like a certain type of bike because it's fashionable?

smiorgan

bonj said:
re sheldon - I'm not sure sheldon even IS that great.

Heretic! Boil him in oil! Boil him! ;)

Seriously though - Sheldon teaches how to
- lace wheels
- set up cantis
- unstick a seatpost
- clean a chain etc

I get your point about STIs etc - but to be fair the STI is non-user serviceable and the sort of thing most people get a LBS to set up*

Without Sheldon's advice I'd still be taking my bike to the LBS for trivial things instead of doing them myself.

----

* does not apply to Campy kit which is rebuildable and nicely documented for the end user. Hey - I ride a Campy bike and a fixie, how unbearably smug am I? :tongue:

Canrider

Guru
But what grates on me is the skirting round of admitting this - by using made-up terms like 'rhythm', 'zen', 'art and beaty'.
I like it because it weighs less and I have more control over my traction and it's easier to repair and maintain and the drivetrain is more efficient..

All of which could be expressed as 'zen', or 'art and beauty'. I choose not to.

You fancy you'd like to think it's all about fashion, but if it was, you very likely wouldn't see as many couriers as you do riding fixed, given they're in employment where issues like cost, efficiency, serviceability and durability become more important than they are to the average hobbyist.

bonj2

smiorgan said:
Heretic! Boil him in oil! Boil him! :ohmy:

- lace wheels
- set up cantis
- unstick a seatpost
- clean a chain etc

I get your point about STIs etc - but to be fair the STI is non-user serviceable and the sort of thing most people get a LBS to set up*

Without Sheldon's advice I'd still be taking my bike to the LBS for trivial things instead of doing them myself.

----

* does not apply to Campy kit which is rebuildable and nicely documented for the end user. Hey - I ride a Campy bike and a fixie, how unbearably smug am I? :tongue:
to be fair yes I did learn how to build wheels off his site.

I don't know about non-user serviceable - I've set up shimano mechs before
going to set up my new shifters on my road bike when i get them aswell.

smiorgan said:
Heretic! Boil him in oil! Boil him! :ohmy:

- lace wheels
- set up cantis
- unstick a seatpost
- clean a chain etc

----

to be fair yes I did learn how to build wheels off his site.

I don't know about non-user serviceable - I've set up shimano mechs before
going to set up my new shifters on my road bike when i get them aswell.

Canrider said:
I like it because it weighs less and I have more control over my traction and it's easier to repair and maintain and the drivetrain is more efficient..

All of which could be expressed as 'zen', or 'art and beauty'. I choose not to.

You fancy you'd like to think it's all about fashion, but if it was, you very likely wouldn't see as many couriers as you do riding fixed, given they're in employment where issues like cost, efficiency, serviceability and durability become more important than they are to the average hobbyist.

banghead.gif

Canrider

Guru
In other words, you have no counterargument?

My reasons for trying fixed are virtually a public record--I've never denied that I decided to give it a try *after* trying singlespeed, which I tried *after* realising I was only ever using one gear on 95+% of my rides.

And no, to stave off your inevitable response, 'deciding to try something new' is not a fashion statement.

hichakhok

bonj said:
then go to an art gallery?

What's wrong with admitting you like a certain type of bike because it's fashionable?

I ride a fixed gear because I enjoy the feel, very different from a geared bike, and because it keeps the pounds off. What is so controversial about that? Fashion has nothing to do with it. I also get an aesthetic feeling of satisfaction from the bikes structural elegance, and is the quality that initially attracted me when I started. You act as people have only been riding fixed recently, a friend of mine has an antique Allen that he has been riding since the 60's. It's not a new thing.

bonj2

Canrider said:
In other words, you have no counterargument?

My reasons for trying fixed are virtually a public record--I've never denied that I decided to give it a try *after* trying singlespeed, which I tried *after* realising I was only ever using one gear on 95+% of my rides.

And no, to stave off your inevitable response, 'deciding to try something new' is not a fashion statement.

In my opinion, it's just *wrong*. When you're going round a corner, you should be able to put your outer foot down at the bottom of your pedal stroke as you lean. When you stop, you should be able to get your feet in the right position with ease in a relaxed way. In a way I can sort of see how you might be the sort of person who actually prefers the way a fixie rides, but then again even if you're not one of the people who likes them for fashion reasons, there are undoubtedly some people who like them purely for fashion reasons. But that brings me on to the question, what makes YOU think you're so special as to not be one of them?

hichakhok said:
I ride a fixed gear because I enjoy the feel, very different from a geared bike, and because it keeps the pounds off. What is so controversial about that? Fashion has nothing to do with it. I also get an aesthetic feeling of satisfaction from the bikes structural elegance, and is the quality that initially attracted me when I started. You act as people have only been riding fixed recently, a friend of mine has an antique Allen that he has been riding since the 60's. It's not a new thing.

I'll put it a different way - how is weight loss ..., erm... -why do you persist in pretending that... - actually no I won't I'll just repeat the question: What's wrong with admitting you like a certain type of bike because it's fashionable?
'Aesthetic feeling of satisfaction from structural elegance'. Come off it you pompous tit. Are you even aware of how up your own back bottom you sound? Chavs probably get an 'aesthetic feeling of satisfaction' from a primark tracksuit and find 'structural elegance' in fake gold bling jewellery, but there's still no pretending it's nothing to do with fashion.

Canrider

Guru
there are undoubtedly some people who like them purely for fashion reasons. But that brings me on to the question, what makes YOU think you're so special as to not be one of them?
There are undoubtedly people who like pretty much any kind of bike you care to mention for reasons of fashion. I can only imagine how much sales of Treks went up when Lance started winning races..

I'd just remind you that you also thought cantilever axles were wrong, which tends to invalidate every automobile axle ever manufactured..

bonj2

Canrider said:
I'd just remind you that you also thought cantilever axles were wrong, which tends to invalidate every automobile axle ever manufactured..

er... can't remember that. Can you link to the post where i said anything about 'cantilever axles' (whatever they are)? are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else?

Graham O

bonj said:
But that brings me on to the question, what makes YOU think you're so special as to not be one of them? (Riding fixed for fashion reasons)

That is an incredibly arrogant statement. Why is it that only YOU can see the real reason for people riding fixed, and everyone else is deluding themselves? And your question presupposes that having a reason other than fashion is somewhat "special". Perhaps there are many reasons for wanting a fixie, with fashion being one of them. But to label all riders as following fashion is naive.

Personally, I have wanted to ride fixed ever since my brother had one back in the early 70's and last year I bought a set of wheels and have really enjoyed (almost) every moment since then. Fashion may have given me a bigger choice of off the peg wheels, but to say I only bought them for fashion reasons is wrong.

hichakhok

bonj said:
I'll put it a different way - how is weight loss ..., erm... -why do you persist in pretending that... - actually no I won't I'll just repeat the question: What's wrong with admitting you like a certain type of bike because it's fashionable?
'Aesthetic feeling of satisfaction from structural elegance'. Come off it you pompous tit. Are you even aware of how up your own back bottom you sound?

I couldn't care less how I sound. Liking something just because it is fashionable often belies a lack of perception of the objects worth and value, and indicates the person is more concerned with socially fitting in, or being fashionable. It would be foolhardy to choose ones daily mode of transport for those reasons thus choosing a certain type bike just because they are in fashion is a bad idea.
You think fixed gear bikes are inferior to geared bikes, and those that ride them only do so for fashion reasons as there are to your myopic mind zero benefits to the rider. Well your wrong, and your "argument" if you can even call it that is wrong. If you think you can tell why someone you have never met before does something then your simply being a nutter. You need to listen to and accept other people, especially when they say things you cannot comprehend.

All you can do is take the piss and insist I am lying and have other reasons. Your a bit mad.

Feel free to have the last word.

Top Bottom