Distance and age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Take your age and multiply it times the number of times a day you can manage it minus the the number of times you need to get up to p*"s in the night. Divide by 2 should give you the number of miles you're capable of in a day.
Based on that formula then...
58 x 0.25 - 3 ÷ 2 = less than 6.
That's about right then.
Although, am I allowed to save the miles up for 4 days and do 24 in one ride? In the same way as I save up my 0.25 for 4 days to "manage it" once? 😄

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An 84yr old I know celebrated his birthday by riding his age in miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
70 year olds know exactly how to make it easy riding 70 miles. 40 year old still have all that testosterone running around in them and think they are Lance Armstrong. Until they find out they are not. That is when the 70 year old finishes his 4th coffee and 5th piece of cake and pootles past them.
You realise women ride bikes too huh? :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My best mate's one of those female women types, and she rides bikes over very long distances.
I've got one of those. She happens to be quicker than me too, which can be a problem on our rides if we are going on a route that she doesn't know because she doesn't have a brilliant sense of direction or take a map/GPS device... :whistle:

Our rides sometimes end up with her checking out a new cafe somewhere ahead of me, and me trying to find it, several kms off our predetermined route. :laugh:

I haven't seen her for about 15 months due to the pandemic. She has kept riding while I have been slacking so now she will probably be twice as fast as me rather than only 50% faster!

vickster

Legendary Member
And they play table tennis as well (my other sport).
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/pams-leading-the-way-231491/

Have played Pam many times in our local leagues often lose to her. She is an MBE and an age world champion at TT.
There are plenty of things women can do...often better than the other sex :whistle:

I used to ride over my age, about 10 yrs ago. now, at 62, I don't even ride my age. I got close last Spring. it wasn't my goal for the day & consequently when I returned to my starting point, just 8? miles shy, I was so happy to see my car, that I stopped. but I do enjoy long rides approx 4 hrs of riding. but most rides are 2 hrs of riding or less

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A good distance is one that doesn’t require getting up too early, allows time for café and pub stops, with a good lunch, and allows the rider to be back late afternoon.

None of the above is determined by age but attitude and approach.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
70 year olds know exactly how to make it easy riding 70 miles. 40 year old still have all that testosterone running around in them and think they are Lance Armstrong. Until they find out they are not. That is when the 70 year old finishes his 4th coffee and 5th piece of cake and pootles past them.
Who is he? Never heard of him. I think you mean true champions like Anquertil, Hinault, Mercks, Induran. :okay:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am 70 now and long rides do not appeal to me. Nowadays I am happy with just 20 to 40 miles. Occasionally may be push it up to 50 but very rarely as riding back when you have no juice left is hard work. My formula is simple: know your limit and stick to it.

Top Bottom