Distinctive Bike Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Why is the drive train always on the right? I've always wondered but never wanted to ask.
Because (safety) bikes were invented in Britain, where we ride on the left, so a rider mounting a horse would do so from the left, when bikes came along there was no reason to change, so the chain went on the right, away from the riders’ clothes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a question I've seen debated on the internet a few times. I've seen various theories
  • To do with the direction in which right hand threads tighten. So a right hand thread screw-on sprocket on the rear wheel would need to be on the right, otherwise the pedalling action would tend to undo it. Mind you engineers didn't have much trouble making LH threads for BBs and pedals.
  • To do with the preponderance of right handed over left handed people. But I'm not entirely sure why right handed people would prefer a right side drive train. Possibly because people prefer to swing their right leg over the bike from the clean, non drive side.
  • To do with the safety design originating in the UK where the rule is to drive on the left and it's better to have the chain on the side away from the kerb. I'm dubious about this because if there was an advantage to this then bikes manufactured for local markets (as most bikes were) in other countries would have been made with the drive train on the right. And I don't think they were. (But I could be wrong).
I have no idea. And we'll probably never know. I favour the first two, but I wouldn't rule out the third.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not both sides?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bichain-fixed-free.html

In the very early days some continental European and American makers did put the chain on the other side, Opel being one I have seen. Bear in mind the Cycle Engineers Institute(CEI, forebear of the BSC) didn’t standardise these things until the 1900s and early makers used such things as screw-on chain wheels to the cranks, sprockets attached by studs and some novelties such as bayonet fittings. In the end BSA being the largest manufacturer of components held sway over Chater-Lea, (larger BB) Raleigh (who sulked and kept their own screw thread pitch for some things) and Rudge(smaller BB) also incidentally keeping the thread profile they used for firearms, which is why it’s a 60 angle and not Whitworth‘s 55 degree.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I read a funny story (on here I think) of someone who recalled that their dad stripped down and reassembled their (simple, single speed) kiddy bike. He did a great job of it but put the drive train on the left, with the result that the freewheel would only engage by pedalling backwards.
I've certainly posted on here about the time I did that. Fettle then wine, rather than t'other way round.
Although I'm now thinking of doing that to my fixed. The pedals would tend to unscrew themselves, and I'd probably have to fit the SPD cleats backwards, so that means a dedicated pair of shoes for that bike, but I can't see any other problems.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I've certainly posted on here about the time I did that. Fettle then wine, rather than t'other way round.
Although I'm now thinking of doing that to my fixed. The pedals would tend to unscrew themselves, and I'd probably have to fit the SPD cleats backwards, so that means a dedicated pair of shoes for that bike, but I can't see any other problems.
Engaging the cleats on the move with that configuration would be an interesting exercise :scratch:

Drago

Legendary Member
We'd get such reports all the time in the dibble. "Distinctive", "rare", "unique", when a quick Google search would show 10 LBS' within a 30 mile radius selling them.

The only distinctive item will be the frame number and/or any security markings the bike may bear.

My nearest LBS is a Bianchi dealer, so its not even if that particular type of Italian branded, Taiwanese manufactured frame is an uncommon sight in South Poshshire.

Too distinctive to sell on. It'll be stripped and sold in bits.

I fear Mr Lops is likely correct.

We'd often get calls telling us that "my wheels are on ebay". Great, do you have a serial number? Do you have a photo of that supposedly unique scratch to substantiate that? No? Well, while we happen to believe you, we're left with no evidence to present to a Magistrate for a warrant.

Last edited:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Just swap the pedal spindles round, so you have a left pedal with a RH thread and v v. That is if you don’t want to splash out on the front cranks from a cross over tandem.

Lozz360

Veteran
I think the USA did a left drive train in the 2016 Olympics for some advantage or other but you would know it was yours if it got nicked
That's correct. It was their track bikes. The idea was that as the bikes go anticlockwise around the velodrome there could be an advantage in having the drivetrain on the left and therefore, on the inside and aero-efficient. Didn't do them much good though.

Top Bottom