Ditching your ovalised chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Anyone so far not happy with the performance of an ovalized chainring and change back to the normal round ring. Pretty sure you convert to ovalised ring after reading all the reviews, hype, rumour, etc, but be done with it. What’s your reasons?

amaferanga

Veteran
No difference to performance in my case and front shifting can never be as crisp as it is with round rings.

sidevalve

Über Member
Had one fitted when I bought the bike. No problems, is it better or worse - not sure. Would I bother changing,- not untill it's worn out. Changing gear - not trying to win the TDF so it seems fine.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have run ovalized chain rings and believe that they function as intended to some degree, however the shifting performance and quality is nothing short of dire imho and it was this which made me drop them.
I would likely use them on a TT bike for a flat course, but not on a road bike again.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
durham.jpg
Durham, 1960's
http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/ovals/03.html

amaferanga

Veteran
The new rings are fundamentally different to biopace. Not that that really makes much difference, but don't confuse biopace with q-rings/osymmetrics.

postman

Legendary Member
I've got a 105 biopace chainset down my cellar. I was using it a couple of years ago
My first ever quality b ike.Bought from Drakes Cycles of Harehills Leeds 8.Had 105 with Biopace.That was around 1988-1990.Little did know then what i actually had.I took the bike to the local tip.Numpty.It was a Raleigh Triathalon 25" frame.

Top Bottom