Diversity obligations gone mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure I'm not alone in not getting this. [But enjoying the lather some are getting into because "diversity obligations" have been mentioned. :whistle: ]

Am I understanding correctly that -
- the old setup was two communal shower/changing facilities, one for women, one for men.
- that this is being replaced by upgraded individual cubicles, within which one can change, shower, dry, and emerge refreshed and all set up for a day's work? And not requiring any artificial gender segregation?

In which case, the problem is surely whether there are enough individual cubicles or not. It would of course be utterly cynical of me to suggest that Facilities have dreamed up non-existent "diversity obligations" - a very astute move on their part to set people off on a red herring, and disguise the fact that their penny-pinching piss-poor "planning" has actually reduced the facilities. Aye - and shift the blame. :evil:

Reactions: mjr
It doesn't seem to be about the showers though. The problem appears to be with bras and pants being forced to share drying space with men's clothes, a notion that strikes me as positively Victorian. Oh, and the fact that apparently all men are pervs who can't help perving over any item of women's underwear - so I'd say this company probably only employs unmarried males aged under 12. Jeez :rolleyes:
Well it would be impossible for us men to otherwise see bras and pants. Other shops, magazines or the internet of course. It sounds outrageous that I would be forced to see them. God knows how I'd control myself.

Vicarious bras-and-panties-on-view trauma

B7s_nTsIMAA58UC.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I find it incredible that such a change can be made without first asking the people who will be affected. Some people will think it's a bad idea and others a good idea, but before the facilities are changed (or not) their views should be acted on.
Really, do they own the building then, or the businesses that rent it.

I know many riders who have no showers, no changing facilities and no place to put a bike.

They would be grateful for any of the above.

Staff of business do not have any say at all in how the landlord or business uses the building. If they are not happy they don't have to stay.

Very good employers try to gauge opinion but trust me, as soon as you start asking what folk want, they get very greedy and self interested.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It sounds as if I've spent the last 38 years under the misapprehension that a place of work is just that - a place where you go, to WORK.
Are we really all so expectant of being pandered to in every walk of life these days that we can reasonably expect our employers to supply changing facilities for all possible combinations of whatever mixed up genders are in existence in modern society? Here's a novel idea - arrive at work in your work clothes. If you choose to travel by some method that gets you sweaty or wet, then you might have to deal with some more inconvenience by getting changed in a toilet cubicle, or a storage area somewhere. It surely isn't your employers problem to supply showers and changing facilities?

winjim

Smash the cistern
It sounds as if I've spent the last 38 years under the misapprehension that a place of work is just that - a place where you go, to WORK.
Are we really all so expectant of being pandered to in every walk of life these days that we can reasonably expect our employers to supply changing facilities for all possible combinations of whatever mixed up genders are in existence in modern society? Here's a novel idea - arrive at work in your work clothes. If you choose to travel by some method that gets you sweaty or wet, then you might have to deal with some more inconvenience by getting changed in a toilet cubicle, or a storage area somewhere. It surely isn't your employers problem to supply showers and changing facilities?
Depends upon the nature of your employment. I don't travel to work in a lab coat.

Reactions: mjr

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
We have nothing in our work: there is a shower at the entrance of the staff ladies toilet (one toilet for about 250 female employees btw, if busy we use the toilets for the public) and the executive chef has claimed said shower as his own for some reason, he does not cycle or even cook :wacko:
All 500+ employees of the company have to change into a uniform: there is only a small mixed changing room in one of the buildings, another building has 2, the third has none.
There are a dozen of us that cycle in every day, including some managers, none feels the need to shower.
If I get to my work really soaked I will hang up my upper layers anywhere with some heat, sometimes let the waterproofs drip in the fire exit.
Never yet had the need to change undergarments, neither I have seen male knickers or socks hanging up to dry, and it does rain lots here in Scotland!
The OP's wife's work has good facilities imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom