DIY 200: Devon C2C?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am in the throws of route planning a DIY 200 from a campsite at Porlock, just west of Minehead to Ilfracombe and south along the Devon C2C to another campsite near Heybrook Bay, south of Plymouth. About 203km and ascent of 2800m

The next day I would return along the same route back to the first campsite where I would leave my vehicle. About 205km with ascent of 2600m

Rather than an end to end tour, I’m doing it as 2 x back to back 200s under Audax rules my speed must be 15-30 km/h.

Has anyone got any pointers for me? Thank you.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Take your climbing legs. Expect short and sharp with a coastal route. Think choppy rather than long gradual.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Legs will hopefully be in good nick. I’ve had a good look at the comments on this route on other threads. There is some decent route advice. Seems like @Dirk is the local with the inside knowledge. Perhaps I’ll bug him for any tips.

One of my concerns is that much of this route is shared path and although time is against me, I’m not one for antisocial behaviour towards slower riders, walkers and their hounds. Am I barking up the wrong route to do this as a 200km Audax? 18-20 km/h including stops would be my target to finish within the allotted time.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks @Dirk

I’ll camp at Porlock, west of Minehead the night got before I ride. Hopefully they’ll let me keep my pickup truck there. I’ll ride early from there and do the 200+ to include the C2C southbound. I’ve included the Start/Finish points ‘proper’ (Verity & the Ferry slipway as you mentioned in a similar thread) so I’ll do the C2C in completion. I’ll camp over night near Plymouth and then return by a similar route also totalling 200+km. That should wrap up 4 Audax points. Maybe I’ll gave another kip at the same campsite at Porlock where my truck is or just head back home if I’m feeling chipper.

I plan to use my usual Audax bike with 700x32 tyres, lights and a bit more luggage to accommodate my sleeping kit and tent or bivi bag. I’ll be going as light as possible. But maybe I should use my tourer with chunkier tyres.

How’s that for a plan?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thanks @Dirk

I’ll camp at Porlock, west of Minehead the night got before I ride. Hopefully they’ll let me keep my pickup truck there. I’ll ride early from there and do the 200+ to include the C2C southbound. I’ve included the Start/Finish points ‘proper’ (Verity & the Ferry slipway as you mentioned in a similar thread) so I’ll do the C2C in completion. I’ll camp over night near Plymouth and then return by a similar route also totalling 200+km. That should wrap up 4 Audax points. Maybe I’ll gave another kip at the same campsite at Porlock where my truck is or just head back home if I’m feeling chipper.

I plan to use my usual Audax bike with 700x32 tyres, lights and a bit more luggage to accommodate my sleeping kit and tent or bivi bag. I’ll be going as light as possible. But maybe I should use my tourer with chunkier tyres.

How’s that for a plan?
Sounds good to me.
Don't think you need tyres bigger than 32 mm. I'd happily do it on 28s, or even 25s if you were careful on the couple of short rough sections.
The shared path on the Tarka Trail isn't really a problem. It only gets really busy about 8 miles either side of Barnstaple and then only at weekends and during school holidays. Most Grockles don't appear on the trail until after about 10 am, so an early start would avoid most of them.
Which way are you going from Porlock to Ilfracombe? There's some pretty big hills on the way!
What time of year are you intending to do the ride?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Appreciated @Dirk Undecided on the exact time of year. Probably late Spring or early Summer 2018.

My rough route from Porlock: Oare, Brendon, Barbrook, Paracombe, Combe Martin, Berrynarbor, Ilfracombe. I was planning to avoid the A39 as much as possible.
No easy way to avoid hills unfortunately.
I wouldn't go down through Combe Martin.
From Parracombe head to Blackmoor Gate and then towards Combe Martin, but turn left at Easter Close Cross towards Mullacott Cross then drop down to Ilfracombe. The main road is OK and it's less hilly that way.

Eta - I think I might be inclined to go Porlock - Exford - Simonsbath - Challacombe - Blackmoor Gate as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No easy way to avoid hills unfortunately.
I wouldn't go down through Combe Martin.
From Parracombe head to Blackmoor Gate and then towards Combe Martin, but turn left at Easter Close Cross towards Mullacott Cross then drop down to Ilfracombe. The main road is OK and it's less hilly that way.

Eta - I think I might be inclined to go Porlock - Exford - Simonsbath - Challacombe - Blackmoor Gate as well.

Thank you. I’ll amend my route.

Archeress

Veteran
Good luck with it, I lived for 12 years near Tiverton so know the area well, although I didn't cycle as much back then. I would agree with @Dirk about the Tarka Trail as I have ridden some 20 miles of it west from Barnstaple.

Hugs
Archeress x

MikeG

Guru
I spent my youth in North Devon. When someone says that route is a bit lumpy, a bit of a challenge, it's like saying that Siberia can get a bit chilly.

The thing that would worry me most, though, is how you are going to get in. Border control in that area is pretty strict. It wouldn't do for just any-old-body to be allowed to wander around there willy-nilly. You might help your cause, though, if you mention David Shepherd and David Charlesworth.......and know who they are and were.

Top Bottom