DIY 200: Devon C2C?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Min speed on DIYs is 14.3k/hr.

One version of the old Exmoor Grimpeur went Porlock, Countesbury, then south up the gorge from Lynmouth. One of my old 300s climbed out of Lynmouth through Woody Bay to Combe Martin and on to Ilfracombe. All good fun.

There are three ways west out of Porlock. The middle one, the better-known toll-road, is easiest.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I spent my youth in North Devon. When someone says that route is a bit lumpy, a bit of a challenge, it's like saying that Siberia can get a bit chilly.

The thing that would worry me most, though, is how you are going to get in. Border control in that area is pretty strict. It wouldn't do for just any-old-body to be allowed to wander around there willy-nilly. You might help your cause, though, if you mention David Shepherd and David Charlesworth.......and know who they are and were.

Good to know. In my travels over the last 44 years I’ve had plenty of run ins at border posts, but yet to experience issues in Devon...Nope, I remember now. I got stopped by the police at 05:00am on a night Audax (Dartmoor Ghost) going towards Princetown on Dartmoor. A localish LBS had £25k worth of bikes nicked. Do I look the type? Tut.

My link with David Shepherd is of the Loxodonta kind, beng chased whilst in a fishing trip in Charara.

David Charlesworth? Umm...my tool sharpening technique is ok. (ish)

Do I pass?

MikeG

Guru
Wrong Shepherd, I'm afraid. You want the (dead) cricket umpire, from Instow. His mum ran the post office there, and he tossed a coin with his brother Bill to decide who would go off and play for Gloucestershire, and who would stay behind to run the post office. I think you could probably see David Charlesworth's workshop across the estuary from the post office at Instow, and from North Devon cricket club where the Shepherd's learned their cricket.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When you come down the end of the Plym valley, carry on through Saltram, turn left for Plymstock (at this point you may be better crossing over to the cycle path)
Turn right at the big Morrisons roundabout on the A379
At the mini roundabout outside the store take 3rd exit for Oreston Road
Follow until you see Plymstock road. Go all the way along to Deans Cross traffic lights.
Turn right
Keep on this road to Hooe
Take the left into Jennycliff Lane
Up to Staddon heights
Staddiscombe village
Turn right at the end
Next right to Heybrook Bay.

This route is a bit more interesting than suburban Plymstock, and you get a view just like this...
IMG_2455.JPG

And a cafe.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca - here's the 'flattest' (LOL) route from Porlock to Ilfracombe.

View attachment 401127

Thank you kindly. I’ll have a play tonight with my route and see what I can magic up.

Top Bottom