DIY advice: Preparing a wall for papering.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
One of the walls in my kitchen is finished with something that's more like concrete than plaster... it's very dusty.

I'm not going to put a skim of plaster over it, but it does need sealing... but what with?

A watered down PVA mix?
Wallpaper paste?
Something else?

Clean the dust off first then a thick ish mixture of PVA ..little water two or three coats

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One of the walls in my kitchen is finished with something that's more like concrete than plaster... it's very dusty.

I'm not going to put a skim of plaster over it, but it does need sealing... but what with?

A watered down PVA mix?
Wallpaper paste?
Something else?
Are you sure its not render...which needs plaster ot tiling?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You might be heading for a costly mistake if you get this wrong. Is it a new build? Or a house that's just been refurbished? Can't you ask a plasterer or go and ask on DIYnot.com?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

You might be heading for a costly mistake if you get this wrong. Is it a new build? Or a house that's just been refurbished? Can't you ask a plasterer or go and ask on DIYnot.com?
it's a Victorian terrace. It was papered, now it's not, and soon will be once more.

In my experience, cyclists have all the answers i need, for anything and everything

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

post a picture if you are usure I am a joiner / builder
wall.jpg

I'm gonna change my mind, and say that needs a skim, before sealing.

Since you're papering over it, it should be fairly cheap and straightforward.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's Victorian plaster! If it was papered before, why not just paper it again?

First though, go round and tap to make sure it's still attached to the bricks behind.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

It had paper on it until a couple of years ago when I stripped the whole room. Lived here for 14 years now and reckon the old paper had been up for at least 20 years. I don't want to do that much work since I'm only renting, so getting it reskimmed is out of the question. A quick seal and papering it is the plan... just looking for sealing advice, which appears to be PVA.

edit... it's all soundly attached and has been filled where needed.

Top Bottom