DIY advice: Preparing a wall for papering.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by MontyVeda, 18 Nov 2016.

Tags:
  1. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

One of the walls in my kitchen is finished with something that's more like concrete than plaster... it's very dusty.

I'm not going to put a skim of plaster over it, but it does need sealing... but what with?

A watered down PVA mix?
    Wallpaper paste?
    Something else?

2. Clean the dust off first then a thick ish mixture of PVA ..little water two or three coats

Last edited: 18 Nov 2016
    MontyVeda likes this.
  3. PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270 Veteran

PVA mix on the wall to seal it.

Oh, the Paste The Wall paper and paste is quite fantastic stuff. So much quicker, and easier, and far less messy too.

MontyVeda and User13710 like this.
  4. Are you sure its not render...which needs plaster ot tiling?

5. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

You might be heading for a costly mistake if you get this wrong. Is it a new build? Or a house that's just been refurbished? Can't you ask a plasterer or go and ask on DIYnot.com?

6. post a picture if you are usure I am a joiner / builder

7. OP
    OP
    MontyVeda

it's a Victorian terrace. It was papered, now it's not, and soon will be once more.

In my experience, cyclists have all the answers i need, for anything and everything

8. OP
    OP
    MontyVeda

wall.jpg

PaulSB likes this.
  9. PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270 Veteran

I'm gonna change my mind, and say that needs a skim, before sealing.

Since you're papering over it, it should be fairly cheap and straightforward.

10. If its rough to touch with your hand running over it - It would have to be a thick paper with PVA or a Reskim

11. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

That's Victorian plaster! If it was papered before, why not just paper it again?

First though, go round and tap to make sure it's still attached to the bricks behind.

12. OP
    OP
    MontyVeda

It had paper on it until a couple of years ago when I stripped the whole room. Lived here for 14 years now and reckon the old paper had been up for at least 20 years. I don't want to do that much work since I'm only renting, so getting it reskimmed is out of the question. A quick seal and papering it is the plan... just looking for sealing advice, which appears to be PVA.

edit... it's all soundly attached and has been filled where needed.

13. Make sure its dust free before or if you do use PVA or the PVA will have no affect

MontyVeda likes this.
  14. PaulSB

PaulSB Legendary Member

After sealing I would first hang lining paper, preferably horizontally, before hanging the wallpaper.

raleighnut, User45 and MontyVeda like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    MontyVeda

what mix (if not neat PVA)? half and half... 2:1, 4:1 (water / PVA)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice