DIY advice required!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Hi, please could anyone in the know advise of the following...

1) My very big back gate seems to have dropped slightly and it's a struggle to lock it now. How do I get it back to where it should be? (I'm not saying this happened because I forgot my key and someone had to shimmy over it, but it's a possibility)
2) On average how much would having an outdoor tap fitted cost? I have the goods to do it, I just don't own a hammer drill (Deffo didn't attempt to use a hammer drill bit in a normal drill and nearly burned the motor out)
3) Is frog tape better than masking tape? (I'm decorating but the frog tape shop is far away)
4) If anyone would like to do all of the above I have home made corned beef pie and cake.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Love to help but I have paper bags to iron.

Doseone

Guru
1) Hinges probably - a tighten may be all that's needed or you might need to take them off and refit them if it's really bad.
2) We had one done, it was about £90 from memory.
3) Masking tape is fine
4) No thanks, I don't like corned beef!

Skyfoil

The Jolly Ginger Giant
1) Photo of the gate with hinges would help.
2) Depends on the distance from the supply to the tap and if there are any easy connection points or not. Also depends on the installer. I guess somewhere between £30 an £80.
3) Masking tape will do fine for most jobs. Frog tape is supposed to be better at preventing paint from seeping underneath it. It's not perfect though, and I personally don't think it's worth the extra expense.
4) Would love to try some home made corned beef pie and cake, but don't really fancy doing the work.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
1. Is the gate wooden/ iron? [Wooden gate will just need levelling up and another timber diagonal brace to stiffen it up. If it's wrought iron or steel, it's possibly the hinges that have dropped.]
2. Not much, but depends where the nearest useable water pipe is you can take the supply from.... and make sure you get a shut-off valve fitted inside for winter!
3. Never knew about frog tape... :thumbsup: ...only ever used masking tape!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
1) as above, rehang 1st but, maybe need to resite (if possible) or fill and redrill the hinge screw holes if the gate has had a lot of use and clambering over. Possible you could drill out the holes a size bigger and use with the heavy duty raw plug type masonry fixings.

2) not a clue

3) Frog tape IMO is not much different in terms of line accuracy (I'm c@&p at decorating tho, could have lots to do with it) but does peel off easier if left on for a while - probs wouldn't use it again vs cheaper tape tho.

4) sounds lovely but you'd expect a far better job for payment than my cack handed efforts would manage.

stephec

Legendary Member
Miss Goodbody up the road recently asked me to shore up the entrance to her back passage, and I managed it even with the tiny tool at my disposal.
What about her plumbing job as well though?

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Thanks peeps, the gate is really heavy so I'm going to use a tire jack to lift it and tighten the hinges. That seems to be the best idea.

I won't bother with the frog tape and now i know how much i can get a chap to do the tap without being ripped off.

You are very helpful!!

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Thanks peeps, the gate is really heavy so I'm going to use a tire jack to lift it and tighten the hinges. That seems to be the best idea.

I won't bother with the frog tape and now i know how much i can get a chap to do the tap without being ripped off.

You are very helpful!!
Don't mention it :hello:

Top Bottom