DIY Discoveries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I've discovered that 1:1 portland cement/washed fine sand (of the type that you use in aquariums - much finer than building sand) with a 1:1 waterproof PVA/water mix makes an excellent waterproof interior/exterior caulking agent and flexible gap filler, works out much cheaper than ready made caulk or filler.

Have you made any handy DIY discoveries that you'd be willing to share?

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Do not use polyfilla for holes or gaps in plaster/plasterboard, use car body filler as it's made for sanding, far better finish. Polyfilla is too hard and with it you end up with the plaster sanded away and the Polyfilla still stood up above the flat surface.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Speck said:
Do not use polyfilla for holes or gaps in plaster/plasterboard, use car body filler as it's made for sanding, far better finish. Polyfilla is too hard and with it you end up with the plaster sanded away and the Polyfilla still stood up above the flat surface.

There's interior Polyfilla (easy to sand - I've never had the problems you describe with it), and exterior Polyfilla (gives the problems you describe if used on indoor plaster).

Were you using the right stuff?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Although they sell small rollers that are supposedly designed for use with gloss paint - don't bother!

NEVER, ever buy any paint that has 'Value' in its name or description.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
XmisterIS said:
Have you made any handy DIY discoveries that you'd be willing to share?

Professional builders and decorators do a much better job.

Globalti

Legendary Member
NEVER undertake DIY jobs on a Saturday afternoon; the shops will be shutting soon. This is specially important with plumbing jobs.

ChrisKH

Guru
Globalti said:
NEVER undertake DIY jobs on a Saturday afternoon; the shops will be shutting soon. This is specially important with plumbing jobs.

Ditto Sunday, as you can guarantee that a rubber gasket will need replacing at 16.05 (when the big DIY chains close at 16.00).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Globalti said:

Fixed that for you

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Before you say to swmbo "Lets save the money on fitting the kitchen, I will do it myself" first think long and hard about what you are about to commit yourself to :biggrin::laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
4F said:
Before you say to swmbo "Lets save the money on fitting the kitchen, I will do it myself" first think long and hard about what you are about to commit yourself to :evil::biggrin:

Amen !!!
Did mine 10 years ago, completely gutted the kitchen diner, decorated, moved cooker, carpets, tiles, etc etc etc...4 days, 14 hours a day of sheer hard bloody work and fustration...i was sick to death of every last screw, brush stroke, hinge...everything.

So much so, i wrote on a wall behind a cupboard...'NEVER AGAIN'

gbb

Legendary Member
Speck said:

Finish plasters also good stuff...cheap, quick, when its drying, give it a very light wipe with a damp cloth...half the time you dont even have to sand it.

Top Bottom