DIY electronic groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
'twould be interesting if someone could come up with an "automatic" gear change - set your target speed and cadence and get the electronics to sort the rest out....before anyone starts screaming and shouting, it would be a purely academic engineering pipedream, but surely not beyond the realms of imagination.

'twould be interesting if someone could come up with an "automatic" gear change - set your target speed and cadence and get the electronics to sort the rest out....before anyone starts screaming and shouting, it would be a purely academic engineering pipedream, but surely not beyond the realms of imagination.

Someone's mentioned this before, and I can see it happening one day - even if just 'to prove it can be done'. I don't even think you'd have to set speed, you'd just set the cadence you wanted and go for it - if you started spinning too fast the bike could change up, if you started grinding it could change down. Would be interesting to ride!

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think setting a gear change on cadence alone would be a bad idea, if your spinning the crank while climbing a steep incline it may change up for you, which would not be desirable, perhaps you could get round this witha gyroscope so it never changes automatically when the bike is past a specific incline. Would be interesting.
The guy who did the DIY electronic is also doing a DIY bike computer on his forum, wonder if he intends to link the two in some manner. Could be worth following his blog

Top Bottom