Diy failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
We have been over to Manchester today.To do a little diy job for our son.Simple job two brackets to a wall,then a pole through and hey presto he can hang the clothes on it.So i gets there and there has been four attempts to put these brackets up
So i start first my bradawl goes straight through the plaster board.First drill bit is narrow,a pilot hole,then a wider drill bit.Put in the rawlplug the screw is too lose it does not tighten up.Well i don't have a full set of screws,so off comes the bracket i put in some polyfilla then another rawlplug inside the first one.Screw it up and hey presto a nice tight fit.Job done.Ok so now we head for home after having lunch with him.We are at Bradford interchange when we get a text the weight of the clothes has pulled out the plugs on the top ,oh bother,all i can offer is for him to take off the bracket and then try some longer screws.See if they go deeper in to the breeze block.Failed diy is a bloody pest when you are miles away from home and don't have your full set of tools,or a bit of leeway in time,we had a stated train time to keep to.I could not carry all my gear,it is never in my opinion a straight and easy job.It seems i did not use long enough screws.Bother.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Toggle bolts..... 🔩

You know it makes sense!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The Readers Digest DIY Manual was a great thing.........does it still exist?

I'm not trying to be clever or funny here but when I bought a house I knew nothing about DIY but I soon taught myself.

I don't see driving to Manchester as the solution.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You are using proper plasterboard rawl plugs? If so, and that failed me then i would use heat and a lump hammer. If that fails it goes in the bin.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unless you're using fixings specially for plasterboard you're on a loser. Even then you won't be able to put much weight on it.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Locate the studs in the walls, fix suitably sized wooden battens to the walls into the studs, fix brackets to the battens. Probably not the most aesthetically pleasing solution but it will hold up the rail and clothes. If the wall is painted the battens can be painted the same colour to help blend in

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Spring toggles and gravity toggles all work well until you have a very limited space behind the inner face of the plasterboard. Then, they have no chance of getting into the right position when you try and poke them into the gap. When that happens, the only solution is to try one of the plastic plugs that has "wings" that pull up as you tighten the screw.
I loathe trying to fix into plasterboard.

Top Bottom