DIY folding trailer - rear rack mounted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biketrailerguy

flat002.jpg

1. Typical appearance of bike with trailer stowed on rear rack. Wheels in RH pannier.
2. Top box removed, showing strips that form the load base of the trailer.
3. Strips removed, showing original rack made from alu. Dexion. Alu. angle extension added to secure top of trailer hitch frame to rack. The two swing arms support the trailer when it’s stowed on the rack.
4. All parts: Main frame (folded) / wheels / ‘hanger straps’/ load bed strips / Ikea bag
5. As 4, but with trailer frame approx halfway through its closed to open sequence.
6. Trailer frame unfolded, no other items attached.
7. As 6, wheels added – QR operated by pressing wheel hub centre.
8. Trailer coupled to bike via tow hitch (M8 bolt with nyloc nut, finger tight)
9. Hanger straps added – they just hook over the main frame tubing.
10. Hanger strap detail – showing length adjuster end.
11. Strip sections joined to form a 6 strip wide load bed, then placed on hangers.
12. Ikea bag normally employed, but here, top box used as example.
13. Tow hitch frame made from rear triangle of an alu. framed bike.
14. Adaptor plate detail – 2.5mm steel sheet. Mudguard stay holes used to attach to main bike frame, m10 bolt to attach tow hitch frame.
15. Hitch detail. Hitch based around M8 male threaded rose joint / rod end bearing.
16. Rack / hitch frame detail. M8 bolt +nyloc.
17. Typical arrangement, using Ikea bag and a ‘real’ load (from photo site)

As a regular skip diver I wanted a convenient means of carrying larger items - but without towing an empty trailer ‘just in case’ - this folding trailer was the result. I did consider a local cargo bike on Fleabay, (even had a test ride, but bidding went silly) – however, I’m glad I lost, because I wouldn’t have built this if I’d won the auction.

The trailer has proven to be a far more versatile solution than a cargo bike would have been – for my (and I stress my) needs, so I’m glad I was outbid – and I saved many ££ too, as this folding trailer didn’t involve any expenditure – other than 10p Ikea bag (used)

It was constructed from found / discarded resources, using basic tools (no welding) and has been in regular use since July 2018, carrying a wide variety of loads.
Barring a couple of incidents (both pilot error) that required attention – one even involving minor £ – it’s only needed minor TLC / tweaking during its life.

General specs.
1060L x 370H x 400W (525mm W across wheels)
Weight : 4.25kg Frame + wheels : 0.9kg Ikea bag / hanger straps / load base strips.
Main frame is a Hauck stroller, modified using a variety of basic materials.
Wheels : 260mm dia, solid tyres, 12.7mm dia QR stub axle. Wheels and axle housings are from a Mothercare Orb buggy.
Load base strips: Foam filled aluminium extrusions – roller shutter door strips?
Hanger straps: As found, but I replaced the ends to match (and hang from) the 16mm frame tube
Tow hitch; Main item is an 8mm (hole) rose joint with m8 male threads – found at a scrapyard many years ago + bit of rectangular section steel tube from dumped office furniture. I’ve made several trailers and all have been centre pull, using a rose joint.
Hitch frame triangle: Cut off a vandalised, scrap, alu framed bike (rear frame jumped on until the dropouts touched): hitch clevis, steel furniture tube.
Longest length carried: 3.6m planks – with extension tow bar, trailer as bogie.
Heaviest load carried: 50kg – about 3 times, typically 15 to 35kg

I’m not going to bother giving any more details of loads carried because I started an InstaGram channel (same username as here) a couple of years ago to record the use of this trailer. I decided to do this after dealing with (and hearing about) the practical ‘problems’ associated with riding a bike – one common one being ‘but... but .. how DO I do my shopping?’. Having a resource to point to gets one past the first hurdle these days – if there’s no pics / video ... it didn’t happen.

Edit - happy to answer any queries - if I can - please refer to pic number where appropriate.
Edit - Realised I started using this in July '18, not '20 - after mrsbtg made a comment about the 'plague period'. So I checked.
Amazing how time flies, eh?
Edit - Forgot to mention how long it takes to set up / be ready to accept items - typically between 1 and 2 mins, but - like most things in life - 'it all depends'. At 75, I'm rarely in a rush .......

Last edited:

ren531

Über Member
Great idea, I like the use of recycled materials and an ingenious design.
Most trailor trips I have done are one way loaded and some times just taking a trailor just in case you see some firewood or other interesting stuff would be useful.

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Thanks - all I can really add is that it's been a complete game changer for me - being able to carry a much wider range of 'found' items than previously. There's a list of changes / mods that I'd consider incorporating for a mk2, that'd make it even more versatile / less visible - but such activity would require a considerable amount of digit extraction ...

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Crossed my mind that someone reading this might think ...
'Ok, maybe, whatever, who cares? - but what's the point in always having to lug the extra weight of the trailer hitch frame triangle around ? '
A fair point, of course - especially considering how many bike trailers use a rear axle tow point.
There's no reason why such an arrangement couldn't be used here, of course - the gooseneck towbar could easily be part of the trailer, flicked into 'use' position after the trailer had been taken off the bike - job done.
Apart from a small fitting on the axle end, there'd be little extra weight to the bike if the trailer wasn't being used - in exactly the same way as if it was a standard trailer.

Not my preferred system / arrangement, for various reasons - but completely workable.

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Whilst this trailer was created to satisfy a particular need - as outlined above - it obviously gets used for more 'normal' everyday trips - such as shopping - especially now, as we don't have a car.
We're lucky to live with both German discounters way less than 10mins away (one walking, other cycling).
The latter location is great for heavier loads as it's at the top of a hill.
Pic is of a typical recent visit - with all the heavier stuff carried in the trailer - 28Kg total.

Edit added a pic from today - 4 off 20L plastic containers used from a local shop that refills customer's containers. Excellent quality items, complete with breather vents, able to be stacked and destined for rainwater storage for mrsbtg's gardening use - otherwise gone to landfil? as the shop's supplier no longer wants returns - 6Kg

Attachments

• combo1080.jpg
    combo1080.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 17
  • containers.jpg
    containers.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Slightly different recent load, using half a step ladder (all treads bar bottom one removed) as an auxiliary frame. Cycled (empty) to destination with this attached, but ended up using the trailer anyway after passing a skip.
Main reason for trip was to collect the Alu angle (2m) which I'd used to make a front door access ramp and was no longer needed - so I get my material back :smile:
I also spotted the buggy on the outbound trip and as it was still there on return, added that to the load too.
The only fault I could see with the buggy was shredded nylon twine tightly wound around a rear axle - which I removed, so offered buggy to a local charity shop - but they refused because they couldn't wash the cloth based items in their washing machine - I'll hand wash sometime and try again.
Btw, auxiliary frame can be slid forwards / backwards, relative to trailer to accommodate different lengths being carried.
22Kg total load.

SilverCrossZest.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Slightly different recent load, using half a step ladder (all treads bar bottom one removed) as an auxiliary frame. Cycled (empty) to destination with this attached, but ended up using the trailer anyway after passing a skip.
Main reason for trip was to collect the Alu angle (2m) which I'd used to make a front door access ramp and was no longer needed - so I get my material back :smile:
I also spotted the buggy on the outbound trip and as it was still there on return, added that to the load too.
The only fault I could see with the buggy was shredded nylon twine tightly wound around a rear axle - which I removed, so offered buggy to a local charity shop - but they refused because they couldn't wash the cloth based items in their washing machine - I'll hand wash sometime and try again.
Btw, auxiliary frame can be slid forwards / backwards, relative to trailer to accommodate different lengths being carried.
22Kg total load.

View attachment 724564
You do have the required lighting and warning triangle on the rear of that trailer?
The warning triangle is required at all times.

You do have the required lighting and warning triangle on the rear of that trailer?
The warning triangle is required at all times.

I see a yellow vest tied to the back, that is all that is required according to most trailers I see being towed 😊

I like this thread, I use a (none folding) trailer myself infrequently. Carried +/-50kg of bricks recently in it recently which I think is my limit. Normally it has 30kg of food shopping about once a month in it.

In hindsight I wish I'd thought to measure the trailer as my one is about 1cm too wide (really!) to get down the side of my house, luckily I unload it before needing to take it down there so I just pick it up and carry it sideways 💪

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Carried +/-50kg of bricks recently in it recently which I think is my limit. Normally it has 30kg of food shopping about once a month in it
Yes, 50Kg is also the max I've carried too - I initially plucked a 10x ratio for trailer / load ratio out of the air - arbitrary figure, just sounded good (to me, anyway) - trailer is about 4.2 unloaded.
Shopping trips more regular than yours but typically 25kg+/-
Overall sizing was determined by the buggy it's based on, of course - so, Hobson's choice job.
I invariably tie a hiviz on the end (as here) and I even treat it to a light and reflector - on a good day.
Been in regular use for 6 yrs in July, no comments - of any sort - yet.

ren531

Über Member
22Kg total load.

View attachment 724564

Fantastic load, were I work we used to get a guy coming in with bike and trailor and he would regularly take 4.8m timber and 25kg bags always enjoyed chatting with him all my work mates thought him mad but I was completely on the same wave length and love having an excuse to transport something by bike trailor.

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

were I work we used to get a guy coming in with bike and trailor and he would regularly take 4.8m timber and 25kg bags always enjoyed chatting with him all my work mates thought him mad but I was completely on the same wave length and love having an excuse to transport something by bike trailor.
Unfortunately I don't see that many cyclists with trailers, but if circumstances allow, I'll also stop and chat - especially if it's a DIY trailer, just to see how they've approached some of the standard issues.
4.8m certainly beats my current 'record' of 3.6m - when transporting that load (timber) I got a bit stuck when walking the bike across a pedestrian crossing onto a bit of narrow pavement - and an elderly lady offered to assist :smile:
Pic of that load on my IGram page* (same username as here) if interested.
Don't need an excuse to use mine, btw - especially now, being car free.

* right at the beginning, unfortunately, as one of the first pics uploaded,

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Example of a load that can be carried on the basic trailer frame, without employing any form of container.
Today I was part of a group litter picking in a local park. I personally only found boring detritus, but other individuals unearthed much more interesting specimens.
Since no one else wanted them, I brought some home.
Folding (Hybrid) Ebike
BMX frame
Small drone
Old video camera
Skateboard
Plastic storage crate - of a type I already use.

First two items on the trailer (22kg) rest on the bike.

Attachments

• folding Ebike.jpg
    folding Ebike.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 6

Jameshow

Veteran
Unfortunately I don't see that many cyclists with trailers, but if circumstances allow, I'll also stop and chat - especially if it's a DIY trailer, just to see how they've approached some of the standard issues.
4.8m certainly beats my current 'record' of 3.6m - when transporting that load (timber) I got a bit stuck when walking the bike across a pedestrian crossing onto a bit of narrow pavement - and an elderly lady offered to assist :smile:
Pic of that load on my IGram page* (same username as here) if interested.
Don't need an excuse to use mine, btw - especially now, being car free.

* right at the beginning, unfortunately, as one of the first pics uploaded,

Once transported a 6m+ yacht mast using my bike sure got a few funny looks!

OP
OP
biketrailerguy

biketrailerguy

Once transported a 6m+ yacht mast using my bike sure got a few funny looks!

Wow - well done, not surprising you got some funny looks - in some countries, big bike loads are par for the course, but less so here.
Also begs a few questions about how you did it.
In the days before having my trailer, I'd attach long, tubular loads to the crossbar, bits sticking out fore and aft - max length again 3.6m iirc, so way less troublesome than 6m +
Now, with this trailer, it'd be less of a problem - disconnect trailer from bike, relocate it in a 'bogie' position on the load and attach the front of the load to the bike's hitch point in some way.
So, what arrangement / setup did you use?
Attached to bike and either 'walked' or cycled
Trailer and if so, using an existing one that could be adapted or a quick, easy one off rig just for this job.
Distance?
Mast material, weight, diameter?
Any pics ?

Top Bottom