DIY Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I am probably one of the worst people in the world at DIY but I am having a new washing machine delivered next week and I have to disconnect the old one myself. At the back of the machine there are 3 pipes. 2 of them are for water ingress which look easy to take off (one blue and one red) but there is one pipe at the bottom of the machine that goes into my kitchen sink ubend thingy. How do I remove this pipe from the washing machine and will water go everywhere if I don't turn the stopcock off first??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15441137@N03/1749911432/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15441137@N03/1749065321/

Thanks in advance

isn't that the drain pipe? water will come out if you pour water down the sink.

then again, what do i know?

L

You're right, it is the drain pipe. Don't remove it from the washer, your new machine will come with one attached. Get your washing up bowl or a bucket, put it on the floor and disconnect the pipe from the sink end. You'll get some spillage but you should catch most of it in the bucket.
The red and blue pipes you disconnect from the machine (not forgetting to turn the taps off first - there should be a tap on each line at the wall end of the pipes). Your new washer should come with two new pipes.
Good luck!:evil:

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
In the interim between disconnecting this one and installing the new one how do I prevent water going everywhere if I need to use the kitchen sink.

Sorry for all the dumb questions!!

bonj2

That's the waste pipe - for water to drain out of. It's where dirty water comes back out of the washing machine.
The reason it goes to the u-bend is because waste water from the washing machine goes to the same place water from the sink goes - down the drain.
You're not supposed to disconnect it from the washing machine, but disconnect the other end, from the u-bend. Water won't come gushing out (unless you do it when the washing machine's on, which would be really silly)

bonj2

yorkshiregoth said:
In the interim between disconnecting this one and installing the new one how do I prevent water going everywhere if I need to use the kitchen sink.

Sorry for all the dumb questions!!

How was it attached to the u-bend of the sink? If it's high up enough, there might not be anything like enough header pressure in the water draining out of the sink for any to spill out of there. Try it by just turning the tap on a little trickle and letting it drain down the plughole, with a bucket under the outlet where the washer's waste pipe was connected, and see if any leaks out. If it doesn't, try it with the normal usage of the sink, if it still doesn't leak out you'll be ok.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree on the waste-pipe at the bottom, there will be a bit of residual water left in it which you drain into a bowl. From the photos (what've you been doing in my house?) simply undo the jubilee clip and pull off with the bowl underneath.

Shut the valves (90 degree's to the pipe) and undo the hose at the Washing machine end IF you have the room, otherwise you'll have to undo at the valve end that you've shown to remove the machine, again there will be some water in the hose to catch.

Actually your new machine will probably only have 1 water inlet for cold water as most energy efficient machines heat their own water. Thus best remove the red hose and if possible put a blanking cap over the valve end.

Love the Condor BTW, it's on my dream list!

bonj2

yorkshiregoth said:

ah - it's coming off the side. The water from the sink should just go straight down the vertical pipe, there shouldn't be enough pressure for any to get forced out of the, soon to be open, horizontal outlet for the washer's waste pipe.
Just undo that jubilee clip and pull the pipe off. then put a bucket under the open outlet coming off the sink outlet pipe and run some water down the sink, and make sure not much comes out. A bit might dribble out, but should be hardly any.

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Cheers guys and as FF said the new one only has 1 water inlet pipe so I suppose I will need to find a way to permanently close off the old hot water one under the sink.

Take the jubilee clip off the waste pipe and remove the hose. If you want to seal off the little hole that the washing machine drains into, put a bit of rubber or innertube or polythene etc over the hole, ram a bit of the rubbery end of the old hose over the top(cut it off with a knife etc) and re-secure with the jubille clip.
There's no lever on the hot 'tap' so you can twist it with pliers or unscrew the cold lever after it is turned off. one quarter turn will stop water.
Or, in case of trouble :evil: - I'm only 'round the corner!'

I am a qualified plumber.

The installation of the old washing machine waste is a bodge, do not mimic it when installing the new waste pipe as it doesnt conform to the water regulations section of building standards. The grey pipe shouldnt have that big loop in it. That pipe is full of standing water, over time its also filled up with crap from the washing machine and bits of food from the kitchen sink. Its probably so full of fluff and lard that its caused undue back pressure on the pump and may be the cause of the washing machine failure.

Get yer ass down BetQ and buy their washing machine waste installation kit. Follow the instructions. The hot water valve can just be turned off. End of. If it works that is. The simple way to eliminate the valve is to turn off the water supply, drain the pipe, cut the pipe cleanly with a mini pipe cutter and fit a plastic push on blanking fitting from the likes of John Guest or Hepworth. Make sure its pushed on all the way?? Itll pop off else.

The muppet who fitted your previous washing machine wants shooting.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mickle,

The plastic screw conectors on the water hoses always say do not overtighten, and are obviously meant to be done up by hand. Do plumbers ever get fed up with trying to fit the things so they don't leak and use a fecking great mole grip like I did?

bonj2

mickle said:
I am a qualified plumber.

The installation of the old washing machine waste is a bodge, do not mimic it when installing the new waste pipe as it doesnt conform to the water regulations section of building standards. The grey pipe shouldnt have that big loop in it. That pipe is full of standing water, over time its also filled up with crap from the washing machine and bits of food from the kitchen sink. Its probably so full of fluff and lard that its caused undue back pressure on the pump and may be the cause of the washing machine failure.

Get yer ass down BetQ and buy their washing machine waste installation kit. Follow the instructions. The hot water valve can just be turned off. End of. If it works that is. The simple way to eliminate the valve is to turn off the water supply, drain the pipe, cut the pipe cleanly with a mini pipe cutter and fit a plastic push on blanking fitting from the likes of John Guest or Hepworth. Make sure its pushed on all the way?? Itll pop off else.

The muppet who fitted your previous washing machine wants shooting.

the tell-tale sign of a quality tradesman - the slagging off of shoddier work by those who have gone before :evil:

bonj2

Smokin Joe said:
Mickle,

The plastic screw conectors on the water hoses always say do not overtighten, and are obviously meant to be done up by hand. Do plumbers ever get fed up with trying to fit the things so they don't leak and use a fecking great mole grip like I did?

i had to use a mole wrench to un-plump my mum's dishwasher when she moved house.

Top Bottom