DIY lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
As far as I see it a basic LED setup is OK for other road users to be able to see a stationary bike and its only when moving that we need to illuminate the road. So I was thinking about a 2 lights one to be seen by and one to see with while moving.

As such could a dynamo, with a step up transformer and some kind of circuit (with a capacitor) to maintain a 12v DC current be used to power a kitchen style halogen spotlight?

I've only a rudimentary knowledge of electronics so this may be totally daft, I don't know.

Any opinions?

02GF74

Über Member
see my post on LED lamps. with my ones, you don't need a separate lamp to be seen.

I doubt you'd get enough current to power from a dynamo for a kitchen style halogen; they are less efficient then LEDs - you'd be better of using LED emitters - a different kettle of fish to the LED lamps you are prboably referring to.

Again see my post on DIY LED lamps.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A bloke in my MTB club road all winter with a home made lamp made from a 12v GU7 halogen bulb mounted in a short piece of PVC plumbing pipe closed at each end with a compression fitting. It looked dead professional.

Top Bottom