DIY low cost " Locust" tadpole trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Emma

Start looking for a scrap suspension MTB

Got my Fleecebay bidding fingers going, or it must be getting close to car boot season

and a couple of 14mm wheeled BMX bikes now as it will save time later .

14mm?? Do you mean 14" I was thinking 26" rear & 20" front or am I completely wrong?

Alan...

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Alan

Probably didn't make myself clear there .
To use a 20" wheel "single sided" you need to use custom made HT axles or BMX wheels with 14mm axle .
20mm hubs are often used for trikes and these are EXPENSIVE but If you check out the transportable thread you will see how I converted some hubs to disc brakes

A Lucky find at the local tip a few weeks ago was a BMX bike with 48 h rims 14mm axles with a standard screw on freewheel LF rear hub and a disc brake front hub ( QUANDO hubs )

They are going on the next project a tadpole tandem when the weather improves .
14mm axles.jpg

From the above photo you will notice the 14mm axles The LH wheel is a front BMX disc hub wheel ,centre is the rear wheel converted to disc brake with a screw on converter and the RH wheel is a standard front BMX wheel with a 14mm axle suitable for rim brakes .
The rotors are fitted the correct way around for strength another wise precaution the axle tabs are fitted to the axles so I don't lose them
48h disc brake wheels are like rocking horse droppings VERY RARE !!!!

The screw on adapter can be used on the Right hand side as braking tightens up the screw on adapter . These were a great find and at £5 for the wheels and £5 for the adapter were a SNIP !!!

32h and 36 h wheel are OK for up to around 16 stone with 14mm axles over that then double section rims and 20mm hubs are recommended .

Hope its starting to become as clear as MUD

20" 24 or 26 " rear wheels can be used

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Ken and I took the locust out for a ride this afternoon to give it a sort out run out towards Seaford

It rides well , but due to circumstances beyond my control ( severe lack of space cause by another situation )
The trike will have to go - Serious offers around £400 - buyer collects - etc
It will need another shake down check over after 50 or so miles to check everything is OK .
locust tree.jpg
locust2.jpg
locust big.jpg
locust corner.jpg
locust east.jpg

regards emma

D

Deleted member 26715

Drat I got excited then when you said Seaford, which is 240 miles away I thought you said Sleaford which is only 40 miles away, I would love this but you're just too far away sorry.

Alan...

Top Bottom