DIY Mono Wheel Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

Hi guy's, this is the first post in this, my first attempt at a thread.

Hopefully the photo's are self explanatory.
This is an intuitive attempt at making a practical shopping type mono-wheel trailer using 99% available materials.

Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 25
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 23
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 20
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 21
  • E.JPG
    E.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 24
  • F.JPG
    F.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 20
  • G.JPG
    G.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 19

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Ingenious use of bits there - I hope the donors were unequivocally dead before being repurposed!

Intrigued by the pneumatic fittings; are you going to give in air-assisted braking like an HGV? :tongue:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Not 100% sure what I'm looking at or how the parts fit together but always like a diy build

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

The donor bikes were KP-18's, junior versions of the venerable 'Kingpin'.

These came from recent purchase of a stash of 7 'cycles, 4 of which are Raleigh 'Twenties', the pick of the crop is a 'mint' 1978 'Shopper', which is the one I was after but the vendor wouldn't split the bundle. The other 'Twenties' are BSA and Triumph versions.
The fourth one is a later U-framed version.
Not one folder among them.

Instant collector LOL.

The towing 'cycle is connected via the black end, the round thing at the at the other end is of course the rear.

Still waiting for some hemi joints which will be attached to the 'cycle drop outs, in turn attached via the pneumatic fittings to the forward ends of the prongs of the black member, and provide a quick release of the entire thing.
That will give vertical pivot for the whole shebang.

The b/b joint allows horizontal movement,

The 'spine' is waiting for 2 cross members which will have the bottom of a plastic bread basket as a bed for the 'box' element fitted to and finishing assembly.

These first detail allow me to assess the levels, from which progress can continue.
I've walked it around the garden and it does work.
Additional length is about 2/3rds of the cycle its self.

I'm delighted to say, I'm on target with 'PLAN A'

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

The reason for the trailer.....

I'm nearly 70 (in its self amazing to me).
Have difficulty walking but can cycle ok.
Round trip weekly shopping is about 7 miles, which is comfortable for me, but loading up on a 'cycle is a bit much.
The trailer will help balance things out and I won't have to choose what I can't bring home.

Probably baffle a few along the way, as I've never seen a trailer 'cycle in my neck of the woods.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Project bogged down waiting on delivery of hemi joints, so I 'm making a couple of front rack/carriers, by adapting some old rear ones.

Edit: Today's mini project was to graft the top half of a cycle workshop stand onto the base of one of those 5 wheeled office chairs, making it all mobile.

Signing into this forum is a bit of a faff, having to de-select cookies each time.
Is there a way to avoid this?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Signing into this forum is a bit of a faff, having to de-select cookies each time.
Is there a way to avoid this?

choose the 'stay signed in' option which means you don't have to sign in each time you visit.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Project back underway. Update soon.
I rely on a mate to do the brazing. He lives a way up the road but visits twice a week.
I try to keep a busy man busy!

In the meantime I'm sourcing Brooks saddles off ebay, as I thought I'd spoil myself.
If you're savvy, vertually new ones can be got between £25-£35.
As new ones are £140+, I regard that as a bargain.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

All components coming together.
The 'boom' to cycle drop-out fittings have been modified.
The 'boom' is modified with ribs to take a platform and painted. The paint (smooth Hammerite garage paint) is taking for ever to dry. Once it is, final assembly can be completed.
Posting these photo's to keep the thread alive.

DSCF1732.JPG

DSCF1723.JPG

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

After a long wait (for paint to dry) .... here it is!
Hitch = 1.5lbs Trailer = 2.5lbs Box = 3lbs Total 8lbs. Bike = 5 feet Trailer 3' 10'' = 8' 10''

Cost; about £20, mainly for the pressure fittings. These allow the trailer to be transferred to another bike, which will have its own connections..

DSCF1746.JPG

DSCF1747.JPG

DSCF1748.JPG

DSCF1749.JPG

DSCF1750.JPG

DSCF1751.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom