DIY sports drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
Do you make your own drink for cycling?

I like to make a drink with the following:

• 2 spoons of Maltodextrin
  • A spoon of glucose powder
  • Two 50mg caffeine tabs (£1.99 for 30 tabs from Superdrug), crushed into powder
  • 200ml of fruit juice of any kind (I like orange juice mixed with pineapple)
  • An electrolyte plus tablet (I skip this if I'm going to eat food regularly during the ride)
  • top up with water

Tis pretty good

Blue

Legendary Member
I mix my drink from 1/3rd Innocent smoothie and 2/3rds tapwater. Quick, good and one of my daily fruit portions into the bargain!!

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
So do you completely rely on actual food to keep you going on long rides? I couldn't ride for more than an hour without some sort of carb intake.

yenrod

Water: though if i was to use a drink it'd be Isostar: as I like the Lemon taste.

Wouldnt mind trying theses 'Gels' that Pro. riders use and see if they make a difference.

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
'course they make a difference - they replace carbs that you've used up, so they'll delay fatigue. Some contain electrolytes too. You still need to drink water though, obviously.

I'm quite surprised at how many people only use water... BTW I meant to ask "Do you make your own drink for long rides?" but for some reason I typed "...for cycling"... oops.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
One hour and I'm fine on water, or nothing if it's cool.
Two hours plus will take squash or water and snacky bars.
Four hours plus will mix up one bottle of Lucozade powder (orange - yum) and one water, plus snacky bars and maybe a sarnie.
If it's longer than that, will also take out some loose Lucozade powder to mix when refilling a bottle, snacky bars, sarnies, chocolate etc...and possibly top up with Coke, ice cream etc if its 9 hours or so.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Depends on the weather, the distance, the hilliness and the pace. A gentle amble, like the evening CTC pub rides (3 hours, including about an hour in a pub, 20 - 25 miles) I won't bother. Harder or longer, anything from water or squash up to full on energy drinks, Eat Natural nutty bars and generally anything that'll get me through. On Ventoux I got through 1.5 liters of SIS drink, 1.5 l water, 3 bars, coffee with sugar and a can of Coke. Then I stopped for lunch on the way down. Mind you, I've been known to do a 12 mile ride and stop for tea and cakes. Twice...

Renard

I normally use lucozade sport in my bottles but am looking for any DIY recipes out there so I can save a bit of cash. I Have heard of some who use diluting juice with salt and others who make up solutions of glucose and/or maltodextrin but I haven't a clue which and what quantities to use. Any tips would be appreciated.

Top Bottom