DIY sports drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
I use a mix of 1/3rd Innocent smoothie and 2/3rds water. Water and fruit in one go.

The mix was suggested in Cycling Weekly a year or more ago so I gave it a try and found it to be excellent. It won't save as much as a squash and water mix unless, like me, you are a smoothie drinker anyway.

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wow! Great recipes though I think I'll stick with a the safe environment of a café for my caffeine hits!

I use maltodextrin, which I blag as free samples from someone I know at a flavour manufacturing company. However the quality varies and some is virtually insoluble in water. Maxim is maltodextrin and all the convalescent drinks like Complan and Build-Up are based on this as well as Cup-a-Soup. In fact maltodextrin is present in most factory prepared food and drink. Dunno if you can buy it in Boots though; you might find it online.

mondobongo

Über Member
Good stuff messenjah, will pick up some glucose powder when I am out later.

I have used the real cheapo of a dash of robinsons cordial and a very small pinch of salt topped up with water for a quick hour blast tastes better than water cheaper than a bottle of lucozade etc.

Tharg2007

Veteran
was just looking at your blog messenjah and found this
badman.jpg

I think this is deffo the way forward, riding through manchester I sometimes feel i could do with being kitted out like this :rofl:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The maltodextrin is the carbohydrate. It's in a more readily-absorbed form.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Think I'll stick with Isostar Long Energy for my plus 2 hour rides - works for me and at about a tenner for a big tub, it lasts quite some time.

I have a three litre water bladder, 2.5l still lemonade, a cup of mint cordial and fill the rest with Pims, when cycling, one has to be aware that is is always Pims o'clock.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've not broken the two hour/35 miles barrier yet, but I usually manage with 4/5 water to 1/5 fruit juice. I take some jelly babies along in case I start to flag.

Top Bottom