Dizziness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I normally sleep on my left side. If I turn over to my right the world starts to whirl around. This passes fairly quickly when I sit up slowly but can be replaced with the world going from side to side for a few minutes. Standing or walking at this time is not an option as danger of falling. Scary stuff as this has never happened before. So far I have been tested for all sorts of conditions and donated a small lake of blood in doing so. Four different GP Locums ( NHS Highland are seriously weird ) have given a variety of causes but it possibly stems from something to do with my ears. It does seem to have improved a bit but the whirling still happens and the side to side bit could return at any time —- next week, next month,next year —who knows? All very unsatisfactory and not confidence inspiring for cycling.
I am now seriously considering a recumbent trike as hopefully not so likely to fall off.

midlife

Guru
Google octonia ear and see if that matches your symptoms

Slick

Guru
I normally sleep on my left side. If I turn over to my right the world starts to whirl around. This passes fairly quickly when I sit up slowly but can be replaced with the world going from side to side for a few minutes. Standing or walking at this time is not an option as danger of falling. Scary stuff as this has never happened before. So far I have been tested for all sorts of conditions and donated a small lake of blood in doing so. Four different GP Locums ( NHS Highland are seriously weird ) have given a variety of causes but it possibly stems from something to do with my ears. It does seem to have improved a bit but the whirling still happens and the side to side bit could return at any time —- next week, next month,next year —who knows? All very unsatisfactory and not confidence inspiring for cycling.
I am now seriously considering a recumbent trike as hopefully not so likely to fall off.
Check out YouTube as there are loads of videos of the solution there. Can't remember what it's called but the local doctor reset it for me although it did come back.

I have had occasional balance problems for a couple of years. Strangely I never have any of these problems while cycling.
Possibly, this is because there is little or no jarring of the head/neck area when cycling compared to walking, although as a non-medical person I might be talking bollux.

tom73

Guru
Ran this past Mrs 73 who has extra training on ear matters and treatments. Says it sounds like middle ear.
Maybe Labiryistet which is one of them things that just clears over time.
Stemetil tablets will help with dizziness

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Does sound a bit like BPPV. I had it for a while after taking a bit of a knock to the head. Went to the surgery and left with a printout describing some manoeuvres to reposition the crystalline deposits in my ear canals. Went away after I did that for a month or so.

Slick

Guru
Does sound a bit like BPPV. I had it for a while after taking a bit of a knock to the head. Went to the surgery and left with a printout describing some manoeuvres to reposition the crystalline deposits in my ear canals. Went away after I did that for a month or so.
Thats the one that's on YouTube I described earlier which also came back after a month or so and now I just live with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I go a couple of years between attacks, and now I recognise the early symptoms for what they are, get the tablets from the doc and head it off. Without them I'll have 4 or 6 weeks of absolutely torrid dizziness.

Excellent. I wasn't criticising you, I just wanted to make sure what you shared was helpfull

Edit: Wow, I have just watched that, and it was amazing. I have no idea if that is useful, but it reminded me of playing 3d labyrinth, and it seems very possible it could be therapeutic .

Last edited:
Top Bottom