DNS Changer virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
My Mum has great fun with these folk telling them she'd love to get her computer fixed but she's not really sure what she's doing and how she'd rather wait and get one of her kids to have a look at it.... gives them hope she's clueless and will do as they ask, keeps stringing them along then just telling them she doesn't have a computer before they eventually give up and hang up on her :laugh:

RhythMick

Über Member
I was just about to sit down to dinner when someone who sounded like he was calling from India (but claimed to be Brad from the Microsoft Technical Centre or something in London) phoned and said that he needed to do something to my computer to get rid of this DNS virus, with which my computer is apparently affected.

I have only had this laptop for about 2 months and have been a good boy, downloading all the updates recommended by the HP support assistant and I have Norton also, but he said that none of these measures protect against DNS. I have not noticed anything untoward going on on my computer, and having just done a quick search on the net, it appears that we have passed 'D-Day', i.e. when the virus was supposed to bring down peoples' internet connections.

I don't really understand any of this stuff and I couldn't suss out whether or not he was genuine, although he did give a name and London address and phone number. Not wanting to be 'had', I took these details and said that I would have to find out more before allowing him to do anything to my computer.

So what should I do?

DO NOT follow any instructions given by any such caller, including visiting any websites you are directed to. Such instructions will certainly be designed to GIVE you a virus, not fix one.

No tech support department will ever call you up like this. I doubt Microsoft has your contact details.

These attempted scams are still pretty crude but they are improving and will start to fool more and more people. Some golden rules include ...

ALWAYS have your Windows Update software keep your PC up to date
KEEP your passwords, strong/complex, secure and private
DOWNGRADE your main user to remove Administrator rights, keeping a separate logon for making one off changes
ALWAYS use a good AntiVirus package. AVG do a free one, most consultants (self included) would recommend NOD32 from an Australian company called ESET, largely because it is updated regularly, is lightweight and doesn't bog your PC down and because it's generally among the first to catch the "zero-day" exploits (new malware)
NEVER follow a link in an email, even if it's from someone you know, without at least copying the link and checking that it goes to where you think it's going
PAY ATTENTION when your computer asks "This software is asking to install this piece of cr@p, do you want to allow it" - especially browser add ons
BEWARE that if you use a public WiFi your traffic is unencrypted and can be snooped by anybody who cares to listen, including any passwords you use.

There are many other golden rules - happy for others to jump in ...

RhythMick

Über Member
Or of course use a more secure operating system such as Linux or Mac. If all you do most of the time is browse the web or email, use an iPad. Seriously it's way more secure and much faster.

Or of course use a more secure operating system such as Linux or Mac.
Not going to solve the problems with scammers per se if you're ignorant enough o fall for their spiel as if you claimed immunity due to your OS on the basis that your friend told you so then you may well be vulnerable to their semi convicing counter arguments (aside from which it's not a good idea to spread complacency amongst non windows users except for the amusement factor should their prefered OS gain sufficient numbers of users to appeal to the virus writers)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This sounds like an obvious scam but in all situations like this my Immediate response is:

"Thanks for letting me know, I will call the official Microsoft number as listed on their website when I have the time to go through these steps, please log our discussion on your system so the technical support assistant can pull it up later to speed up the process"

Then you can check the legitimacy of the call by calling the official number and speaking to them.

I would do this for all sensitive accounts etc. I only speak to the person on the person if I have called them via the official phone number, navigated the prompts and finally arrived at a human on the other end. If they are legit, they will make a note on your account and the person you reach when you call the official number will see it.

rusky

CC Addict
There's no question - it is a scam.

Play it how you like. If you are so inclined & have the time play them at their own game. If not swear/blow a whistle/hang up. it's up to you. Just do not do anything they ask!

byegad

Legendary Member
Total scam. I ask them if it's a particular computer or the main server? Then when they waffle on tell them 'OK, I'll give you the name of the person responsible. It's Chief Inspector George Gently and he's based at police headquarters, you can get him on...' and then I start to give them an imaginary dial code and number. So far I've never got the the end of that number before the phone clicks off.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tell mummy and daddy about it, they'll know what to do, and don't answer the telephone again without a responsible adult present.....oh and go to bed it's past your bedtime :hello:
Blimey, this is a first.After reading your sig line, I find myself agreeing with srw.

Had this happen a couple of times, the last time i asked the Asian guy if he'd like my bank account details as well, before telling him to go forth and multiply!

Top Bottom