Do annuity rates differ much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An annuity is just the interest on your own money. It's not even guaranteed anymore and you don't get access to the lump sum.
Its an annuity. Guaranteed payment for the rest of your life. It is not interst on your money. There is also an element of your capital back. Of course you don't get access to the lump sum, you have used to buy the annuity. If you think its just interest then keep it and put in a savings account.

Thanks. I did actually try them a while back, but the man I spoke to seemed keen to 'take me through the script' rather than offer advice based on my situation. I may try them again now that I'm at least slightly better informed.
Alas the script is required. I think when getting an equity release i had to have 3 conversation each lasted nearly an hour.
"Are you sure downsizing wouldn't be a better idea "
"You may loose benefits if you take out an equity release"
They suggested otherways to get money. On and on they went trying to get me not to take out an equity release.
And then when I said I wanted buy shares with the money shares they said THEY would not allow that!
Unreal, I could give it away to my children, use it to buy a car, use it to go on holiday but not to buy shares to increase my income?
Had to ring another broker and lie. I haven't told my daughters that I am supposed to be giving them £15,000 each. No chance.

mikeIow

Guru
Pension wise are now *allowed* to give advice!
They will only explain things, & outline options available.
I would agree that annuity rates are very poor...although I suspect as you approach 75 and/or have health issues that might lower life expectancy, they may be more appealing.

Not sure what @Chris S means - the whole point of annuities is that they very much *are* guaranted!

But yes, MSE has a lively pension forum with some helpful posters.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I wouldn't touch most annuities with a 10ft barge pole. Hand my hard earned pension pot over to an insurance company that pockets everything if I die early, may go bankrupt at any time, and will charge me excessive fees to get access to my own cash. No chance.

Not to mention paying you a rate of return on your money that is paltry compared to what you could earn in the market from a nicely diversified portfolio. And forfeiting the entire balance when you die means your children, if you have any, get nothing. No inheritence or legacy from their parents. I spent 30 years working in wealth management (real estate) and the investement advisors always advised against annuities for exactly these reasons. In fact, I never once ever heard them recommend an annuity to meet a clients financial goals.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not to mention paying you a rate of return on your money that is paltry compared to what you could earn in the market from a nicely diversified portfolio. And forfeiting the entire balance when you die means your children, if you have any, get nothing. No inheritence or legacy from their parents. I spent 30 years working in wealty management (real estate) and the investement advisors always advised against annuities for exactly these reasons. In fact, I never once ever heard them recommend an annuity to meet a clients financial goals.
In the UK, you can opt to have your annuity guarded against inflation and/or allow the un-spent sum passed to your family when you croak. To choose both is the option that gives you the smallest annuity, about 50% of the one that is not inflation-proof and your family get nothing. Even the most generous annuity (in my case) gave a pitiful return of less than 3% on my initial lump sum. Over the long term, the stock market yields about double that, and you still have your initial investment.

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Although the majority of posters are correct and annuities are not good value at all in this low interest rate/quantative easing world we live in, for some people they are still a valid choice because of the guarentee that they provide. Do you still want to be managing a portfolio when you are 85 ?

But yes, currently, better to leave the money in drawdown in my opinion, but better than my opinion you should GET ADVICE from someone who knows these things, not anonymous people on the internet or a mate down the pub (if we still went to pubs :rolleyes: ). Only use those people to help you form the questions that need to be asked to professionals!

You live in the US, don't talk about UK like you have some knowledge of it.
As a starter pensions are protected by the government.
Prudential regulators authority set the rules for reserves etc.
You can also leave money to family but obviously
obviously you get less.
Its quite astonishing that you can't grasp that annuities are based on average life expectancies. If you die early can't you grasp that some will die later and that maybe you.
if you take out life insurance which finishes when you are 65 do you think you should get your money back?

Feel free to talk about the US not the UK.

Born in the UK, spent most of my life in the UK, planning to probably retire back home, in the UK. And annuities are mostly crap both sides of the pond.

I can grasp how averages benefit those selling annuities, but don't really help the individual.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Its an annuity. Guaranteed payment for the rest of your life. It is not interst on your money. There is also an element of your capital back. Of course you don't get access to the lump sum, you have used to buy the annuity. If you think its just interest then keep it and put in a savings account.
The amount is not guaranteed, it could be less than the current interest rates and often is. You give the pension company the shirt off your back and they give you back the buttons, if you're lucky.

MntnMan62

Über Member

While you are correct that annuities are based upon life expectancy, they are also based upon current interest rates at the time the annuity is set. And that is very much "interest on your money". Or more accurately, "return on your investment". Sure, it's guaranteed in the UK. But you are paying for that guarantee. It's just not as obvious. Using the term interest is misleading because it suggests that there is not "investment return" factored into the annuity. But it's not all that misleading because when people say "interest" they are alluding the fact that an annuity is a FIXED return based upon interest rates for the life of the annuity, not matter what happens to the markets during the life of the annuity. In a high interest rate environment, the payout would be higher. In the present low interest rate environment payouts will be lower. That alone is not a reason to accept or reject annuities. However, given that interest rates are not just low but at historically low levels, it is prudent to question their expediency at the present time.

based upon current interest rates at the time the annuity is set.
Not strictly correct. The rate is set by the investments made at the point of purchase. Those investment are required to be low risk government bonds, company bonds (very good credit risk) etc. Nowadays infrastructure purchases by the insurance company (low risk) and in the case of legal and general the returns on social housing (which are also considered low risk). The last 2 are not affected by interest rates. Bonds by contrast are. The bonds which previously existed will fetch a higher price when bought if interest rates have gone down and vice versa. Hence the return will fall/rise and there would be fall/rise in the price at redemption.
Bonds are proving a problem for the insurance companies as people live longer than the bonds last. So the replacement bonds may not match the returns on the original bonds.
Infrastructure and housing rent will at least keep up with inflation. As will interest rates....in normal markets!!

The amount is not guaranteed, it could be less than the current interest rates and often is. You give the pension company the shirt off your back and they give you back the buttons, if you're lucky.
The amount you receive is guaranteed for life. The amount you receive will always be greater than savings rates.
See above and stop embarrassing yourself. As an aside why don't you stick it in a bank account. After paying all the tax. Or stick it in a sipp and invest yourself. "This is not advise stockmarket go down as well as up". i mean the latter seriously. If you can't work out how annuity works then investing in the stockmarket is not for you.

I can grasp how averages benefit those selling annuities, but don't really help
Annuities are an insurance policy. Like house insurance, car insurance etc some gain some loose. Average is the average person. Some will gain some will loose. It ain't that hard.

Last edited:
Although the majority of posters are correct and annuities are not good value at all in this low interest rate/quantative easing world we live in, for some people they are still a valid choice because of the guarentee that they provide. Do you still want to be managing a portfolio when you are 85 ?

But yes, currently, better to leave the money in drawdown in my opinion, but better than my opinion you should GET ADVICE from someone who knows these things, not anonymous people on the internet or a mate down the pub (if we still went to pubs :rolleyes: ). Only use those people to help you form the questions that need to be asked to professionals!
Drawdown would be my option as it would limit my tax charges (if any) BUT I would consider putting some in a annuity as at least some guarantee of income. In particular your statement about managing investment at 85. As I manage all my own investments in a sipp I may consider it. My memory is crap as it is. Thank you for your advise!!

Not to mention paying you a rate of return on your money that is paltry compared to what you could earn in the market from a nicely diversified portfolio. And forfeiting the entire balance when you die means your children, if you have any, get nothing. No inheritence or legacy from their parents. I spent 30 years working in wealth management (real estate) and the investement advisors always advised against annuities for exactly these reasons. In fact, I never once ever heard them recommend an annuity to meet a clients financial goals.
Markets go up markets go down including nicely diversified portfolios. Unlike annuities. Annuity investments made by insurance companies are required to be low risk hence low returns. Blame the PRA for that not the insurance companies.
Your children get the house. Unless you take out an equity release!!. Your children are not entitled to anything its your money.
A couple of neighbours mentioned just how much their nicely diversified portfolio went down during the crash both had investment advisors they weren't doing there own investments.
Japanese stock markets are lower now than they were 20 years ago (good time to buy? Not advise!!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom