Do cats miss you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Our cat really gets the arse if we go away for more than a day, despite being a pretty independant bugger; spending more time outside than in pretty much regardless of weather.

Currently he gets the arse three times a day, just after he's had his eyedrops.

I didn't expect to end up with a cat. We live in a flat, and a year or so ago a vet was renting the flat below ours. One evening she locked herself out so she stayed the night, and brought this cat that she had picked up because his owner died. Mrs P. took to him straight away. The landlord has probably figured out we've got a cat by now, but he hasn't said anything yet.

I'm renting my mates' flat and looking after their two cats (Burmese, I think they are). Apart from a 'nice' trip to the vets once/twice a year they are house bound - they have no idea that the outside world exists (if anyone remembers the film 'Bad Boy Bubby' the situation is reversed, at the start of the film, very VERY funny) apart from gazing out the window.
Therefore they have no grass to chew/digest/puke up, so they quite happily tear up and chew two of my rugs - and that is 100% successful in making them puke.
They only eat dried food (but their crap STINKS something awful). I feed them once a day (early morning) and that seems to suffice.
Until the cats got to 'know' me they were somewhat nonchalent and indifferent, but now they follow me around the flat and generally make a fuss of me when I'm reading, foruming and watching TV, so I suppose I've been accepted into their gang of two. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Just to say our neighbour's cat thinks you're all scratching up the wrong chair leg.

He said he's spotted our cat slipping out for a curry and a pint with 'the lads' on the nights we are away - hence the upchucking performances next day. :thumbsup:

Should I confront him, or just stop his tuna allowance for a fortnight?

domd1979

Veteran
Nah, I'd confiscate his Playstation.

beanzontoast said:
Just to say our neighbour's cat thinks you're all scratching up the wrong chair leg.

He said he's spotted our cat slipping out for a curry and a pint with 'the lads' on the nights we are away - hence the upchucking performances next day. :thumbsup:

Should I confront him, or just stop his tuna allowance for a fortnight?

Mr Phoebus

I wonder if the care home staff have mischievously nicknamed the cat 'Dr Shipman' :thumbsup:

stevech

We had a cat who was fed by our next door neighbour each year when we went away on holiday. On more than one occasion, she was sitting in our drive when we returned. She would then get up and hop pointedly over the low wall into the neighbour's garden, apparently saying, "Don't think you can come back and have me fawning over you."

It may be a dangerous generalisation, but I would expect cyclists to be cat lovers more often than dog lovers. The received wisdom is that conformists prefer dogs, who tend to behave as required. Individualists tend to prefer cats.

wafflycat

Of course cats have emotions. My three are all individuals each with very different personalities. I've been away a couple of days and as soon as I stepped over the threshold home, I was pounced upon and smothered with purrs and headbutts. One of my three *knows* if I'm unwell and will stay with me, just like a little nurse, tending to me as she would a kitten. My three are family. I don't regard them as 'furkids' or replacement children, but they are non-human family members, and are looked after as such. If they are ill, they are cared for. They have the things that are good for their health; physical & emotional wellbeing - just as I would for any family member.

We used to have a cat that managed to convince the two kids (6 and 8) down the road that it was starving all the time.

It used to go round to them whether it had food or not.

Sure it was hedging its bets!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
our cats always miss us if we're away. previously they used to feign indifference and sulk, but since a 3 weeker away (australia) a few years ago, they've been happy to show how pleased they are to see us when we return (they have the run of the house with a catflap and a neighbour who comes in to feed them).

don't forget: dogs have owners, cats have staff (so says nutmeg, who is sat on the desk next to the mac).

Top Bottom