Do cats miss you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

One of my cats is very independent and she appears to be pretty cool about me being away as long as she gets fed (typical cat). The other had a really odd start in life (he was a rescue cat) and seems extremely attached to me. When I go away he goes missing - I assume he's off looking for me. It's actually a real pain because it quite limits me in terms of holidays. Still, nice to be appreciated I suppose!

asterix

Comrade Member
We have a cat that we were lumbered with after another persons divorce. It got little attention before and like barq's cat, it's now very affectionate (used to bite and scratch, still got a scar across one hand)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Joe said:
Clearly the cat kills them! Probably feeds on their souls or something:evil:

When I heard that story, it did occur to me that once the story got about, if the cat went and sat next to a very sick person, who may be susceptible, it could actually kill them, by weakening the will to live. I've heard that terminally ill people sometimes won't die until loved ones aren't there, so I wouldn't be surprised if in the last stages of illness, all sorts of psychological stuff could play a part..

I think cat emotions are as sensitive as ours. Colleague of mine got a rescue cat, who was terrified of men (we think she'd been badly kicked at some point). Not so much of big macho men, funnily enough, but more of softly spoken gentle men, like her new 'Daddy', so we assumed she'd been hurt by someone like that.

Eventually, she figured that 'Mummy' often went away on trips for work, and 'Daddy' was home more, and became very affectionate to him, and would often turn her tail and nose up at 'Mummy' when she came home after a trip...

catwoman

I used to have a cat that went on hunger strike when I went away. He always survived until my return.
Other cats I have had always seem pleased to see me. I think the theory about being the provider is accurate. If I go away their routine is disrupted and they feel a little insecure, hence their pleasure when I return.
Or am I just imagining it? They seem to ignore me most of the time when I'm home.;)

TimO

Guru
You can make assumptions about cat behaviour, by assuming that they behave like us, which are quite wrong.

Apparently lots of noise and movement to a cat is quite "impolite", and unfriendly, as is looking directly at one.

The effect of this is that when there are a group of people in a room, say at a party, one of which dislikes cat, and a cat enter the rooms, it will often go to that person. Apparently since most people turn to the cat and make lots of "here puss" sounds and gestures with arms etc, the cat sees this as agressive behaviour, whereas the person who doesn't like cats tends to stay still and quiet, which the cat sees as friendly behaviour, so it walks over to them! ;)

For the record, I like cats, I'm cat sitting my old cat when my ex goes on holiday in a few weeks, and once I get into some new accomodation, assuming it's cat friendly, I'll be off to find a pre-owned cat.

bobg

Über Member
Sure seems to be alot of cat loving cyclists out there. Any connection?For the record, me too. Just spent 6 awful months having tests for cancer ( thank God proved negative - going for a ride was never so sweet) M'sieu la Chat took every opportunity to doze off on me. Bloody good job I didnt read that article until recently. BTW Arch, " Rescue Cat" is that a St Bernard of the pussy world?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bobg said:
BTW Arch, " Rescue Cat" is that a St Bernard of the pussy world?

Oh yes. It finds you, then it sits just out of reach with the brandy barrel, carefully cleaning under its claws and giving you a look that says, "Well, if you want a drink you'll have to come and get it, what do you think I am, a bloody dog?"

mosschops2

My parents have a cat, who is now 18 or so. I spent hours and hours stroking her when I lived at home. When I go home now, I get completely blanked. Not remotely interested. While I'm not that bothered, it has actually put me off owning cats.

I remember visiting my grandparents when I was a nipper, they lived on a farm - and I always remember their two dogs being happy as larry to see me....

Top Bottom