Do clubs mind if you can't ride with them regularly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I doubt it
I've not ridden with mine (if you mean club-runs) for over 20 years
I only really joined as a 'badge of convenience' for Cyclo-Cross races, & I don't even do that now

I keep considering changing clubs, as I go out on quite a few rides with Wakefield Triathlon Club, but with being a parsimonious Yorkshireman, it's far easier to pay the £10 subs, than the £30(??) for WTC
Plus, then I'd have to buy new WTC kit too :angel:

That should be cheaper, no sleeves and all that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I moved 300 miles from my last club in 2001 and was still a paid up member when it folded in it's centenary year in 2007. In fact I became magazine editor in the mid nineties and thanks to the interweb (And the fact that nobody else wanted the job) I was in the seat till the end.

That should be cheaper, no sleeves and all that.
:laugh::laugh:

Agreed, but seriously, it'd cost a fair bit to replace bib-tights, long-sleeve jersies, short-sleeves, bib-shorts (don't think I'd need a skin-suit, or tri-suit though!)
'Ditto', if I joined Calder Clarion (another local club)
Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. Oakwell Hall. 31.8.08. 11.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most don't mind if you ride as and when. The few that do tend to make it pretty clear when you join that you'll get booted out for no-shows.
Usually there's no 'hanging about at the meeting point'. The start time arrives and the group moves off. Much easier than lists of people who want to come along, and annoying no-shows.
Wow. Dropping people at the start just because they had a mechanical or puncture on the way there. Brutal. ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
Most don't mind if you ride as and when. The few that do tend to make it pretty clear when you join that you'll get booted out for no-shows.

Wow. Dropping people at the start just because they had a mechanical or puncture on the way there. Brutal. ;)

How long do you wait past start time?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

How do you know they've got a problem if they're not there to leave when the group leaves? You can't wait just in case someone might turn up late. On the other-hand if someone has been seen making their way to the start, we'll wait (within reason). (screenman got in first)

Tin Pot

Guru
I have recently joined a club and have been out with them a few times. I haven't ridden with them for over two weeks since that. Unfortunately due to other commitments I can't go out with them every week, and sometimes it may be longer than that before. Do clubs tend to frown on this and maybe wonder why you joined in the first place?

No.

I've never attended the Sunday rides, but I put in appearances at other stuff so my face is known.

Top Bottom