Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Mine prevents the injuries I'd receive from Mrs DC if I didn't wear one!

Apart from that I've seen no reports of any study which is statisticaly valid. I'm waiting. Anecdotal reports from A&E departments, newspapers et al aren't evidence.

They're good for stopping head scrapes on canal towpath bridges as well.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
dondare said:
There is also the argument that cyclists with helmets might feel invulnerable and therefore take more risks themselves, thereby increasing the probability of an accident.

I didn't wear a helmet today cycling the bike to the LBS for a service and I noticed that I was tending to cycle closer to the kerb on the busier roads - but therefore not necessarily safer. I found my reaction interesting when I realised what I was doing. So it did have an affect but it was a very short distance, so I didn't have long enough to adjust to the non helmet wearing.

biking_fox

Guru
I didn't wear a helmet today cycling the bike to the LBS for a service and I noticed that I was tending to cycle closer to the kerb on the busier roads - but therefore not necessarily safer. I found my reaction interesting when I realised what I was doing. So it did have an affect but it was a very short distance, so I didn't have long enough to adjust to the non helmet wearing.

There is definetly a difference between a habitual wearer, not wearing the helmet on one ride, and someone who never wears a helmet, in terms of percieved safety. If you are used to wearing a helmet, then not doing so will feel odd.

There's also a marked difference between compulsion for a population, and individual choice.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Touche said:
Indeed, I think the most reasonable summary to the whole debate is "We don't know"

Which is not a sound basis for compulsion.

+1..A very accutrate summary.

Although interestingly, I draw the opposite conclusion... I'm in the "if in doubt, err on the side of caution" camp.....It must be the poker player in me always edging the odds in my favour.

That said, I do notice though that my lid restricts my rear vision a little bit and without it I find it a little easier to throw a good lifesaver.

I was also once told that a lid will protect you from a fall or impact into a stationary object but will do little to assist against an impact with a moving vehicle.

I promise myself that i will never find out if this is true. But as I dont know for sure, I wear one just in case...its no bother to me, so why not wear it...only vanity would stop me

Gibbyent

From my research (surfing the internet) where compulsion has been brought in there has been no significant change in the rate or seriousness of head injuries (in fact a statistically insignificant increase has been observed).

So it would appear that they make no difference in a serious incident.

I do wear one due to (uninformed) family presure and in the unlikely case I am involved in a collision it removes any hassles around contributary negligence arguments.

It has protected me from the odd low hanging branch though.

Alan Whicker said:
I wear one because when I'm riding, my head's about the same height as a bus mirror.

I step back from bus stops as busses approach (if I'm about to board) for the same reason - once a bus I was on thwacked the sign by the bus stop with his mirror. You notice them more after that...!

OP
OP
N

NigC

Gibbyent said:
From my research (surfing the internet) where compulsion has been brought in there has been no significant change in the rate or seriousness of head injuries (in fact a statistically insignificant increase has been observed).

So it would appear that they make no difference in a serious incident.

I do wear one due to (uninformed) family presure and in the unlikely case I am involved in a collision it removes any hassles around contributary negligence arguments.

It has protected me from the odd low hanging branch though.

That makes a lot of sense.

After reading the comments, I'm not going to change my habits. I'll continue wearing it as it just doesn't feel right to not have it (didn't bother with it on a very short trip recently and I felt very vulnerable). And as vanity has never been a problem for me, my protection (however real or not) will continue to win this argument :laugh:

SavageHoutkop said:
I step back from bus stops as busses approach (if I'm about to board) for the same reason - once a bus I was on thwacked the sign by the bus stop with his mirror. You notice them more after that...!

I step back from the pavement or try and keep away from the edge of the pavement as it seems like common sense to me.TIA

You never know if something is going to mount it.

NigC said:
That makes a lot of sense.

After reading the comments, I'm not going to change my habits. I'll continue wearing it as it just doesn't feel right to not have it (didn't bother with it on a very short trip recently and I felt very vulnerable). And as vanity has never been a problem for me, my protection (however real or not) will continue to win this argument :laugh:

You do what you are happy with and which is tried and tested.

There always seems to be a crowd on here who try to change you because they think they are right all the time or know it all and everybody else is stupid and can't think for themselves or have no experience.

OP
OP
N

NigC

hackbike 666 said:
I step back from the pavement or try and keep away from the edge of the pavement as it seems like common sense to me.TIA

You never know if something is going to mount it.

I always keep well away from the edge whenever I'm walking - on a bike, lorries (with considerate drivers) give you space, but not if you're walking on the path - if you're near the kerb, you can get quite a pull from a lorry doing 40 and hugging the side :laugh:

jimboalee

They offer no protection against a 40 tonne artic'.

Nor do they offer protection against a stray Gamma radioactive particle entering the atmosphere.

They do however, protect the wearer against bumping their head on the low doorway lintel at the Bridge Tea Rooms in Bradford on Avon.

Top Bottom