Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok I shouldn't have posted in this thread ... my helmet broke today... the plastic adjusting strap at the back of the helmet (a Specialized one)... and I know I only bought it last year, possibly in the autumn. So had to go without the helmet coming home this afternoon too.

summerdays said:
... my helmet broke today... the plastic adjusting strap at the back of the helmet (a Specialized one)... and I know I only bought it last year, possibly in the autumn. So had to go without the helmet coming home this afternoon too.

Mr SHK's specialized also broke a plastic bit (not that one, one connecting the plastic cushiony-things to the helmet)

Back to the LBS, new helmet handed over, no probs :smile:

coshgirl

Helmets...

Just for the record, I do not wear one and never have done in over 35 years of cycling. Have no intention of even if the UK does end up bringing in MHLs (that's a mandatory helmet law for the uninitiated). I feel perfectly safe without one and moreover feel better able to look around me and am not inclined to follow the herd mentality (as many do).

Herd mentality and not personal choice?Thanks for that.I didn't use a helmet for twenty five years and its my choice to use one now.I can think for myself although people on here seem to have trouble understanding that.

coshgirl

hackbike 666 said:
Herd mentality and not personal choice?Thanks for that.I didn't use a helmet for twenty five years and its my choice to use one now.I can think for myself although people on here seem to have trouble understanding that.
And it's my choice not to Hack. I just notice that it seems lots of people are out there in helmets and hi-viz who haven't got a clue how to ride a bike!

Actually I have a reason for wearing a helmet and it's because im a bald idiot and I feel happier with it on.Notice I didn't wear a helmet for twenty five years.
Sorry ratty today feel like shyte.
Your choice cosh I have no problem with that.I never questioned non helmet wearers ever.

Mark_Robson

coshgirl said:
and am not inclined to follow the herd mentality (as many do).
So everyone who wears a helmet or high viz is a sheep and incapable of original thought?
Aw well, your entitled to your opinion I suppose, or do I ? Oh please someone think for me !!!

coshgirl

Mark_Robson said:
So everyone who wears a helmet or high viz is a sheep and incapable of original thought?
Aw well, your entitled to your opinion I suppose, or do I ? Oh please someone think for me !!!
That's not what I said Mark and you know that. All I did say is that there are a number of cyclists out there who've 'got all the gear' as it were, but who don't seem to have a clue as to how to actually ride a bike safely on busy roads. The latter I believe is far more important in terms of safety than wearing hi-viz and helmets, but unfortunately people are taught that cycle safety comes down to those two factors pure and simple. Something I believe is actually very dangerous for all of us

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I wear a helmet because I want to but I am against mandatory helmet laws. I also wear high-vis because I want to but, again, I don't think it should be compulsory.

I have a live and let live attitude when it comes to adults cycling but, going back to the op, I've yet to hear a persuasive argument about helmets adding to your injuries in the case of an argument.

I too have heard the rotational injury thing but, given that when I came off on the road I scraped my helmet and not my head, I still wear mine.

Mark_Robson

coshgirl said:
That's not what I said Mark and you know that. All I did say is that there are a number of cyclists out there who've 'got all the gear' as it were, but who don't seem to have a clue as to how to actually ride a bike safely on busy roads. The latter I believe is far more important in terms of safety than wearing hi-viz and helmets, but unfortunately people are taught that cycle safety comes down to those two factors pure and simple. Something I believe is actually very dangerous for all of us
Point taken, but as cycling becomes more popular you are going to get more inexperienced cyclists on the road. Everyone has to learn and everyone has been where they are today, so it's pointless being elitist. I think that the fact that they have all the gear is a good starting point, and hopefully they will stick with it and improve their cycling skills.
Maybe it's time that bike shops offered a free copy of cycle craft with every new bike purchase or maybe local councils should run more beginners courses for budding commuters.

Captain

I always ride wearing my helmet.
I am a motorcyclist at heart so I always have to put on my jacket, gloves and helmet even if it's hot out. I did take off the other day forgetting to put on my helmet and gloves, 10 metres down the road I stopped and turned around to go get them because I just feel quite uncomfortable without. Even just maneuvering a motorbike it feels weird to me.

@coshgirl: I don't think "herd mentality" has even a jot of influence over the issue, in fact I find it kind of insulting.
To me it's an obvious choice but the explanation is best used on gloves - if I fall at speed I am likely to try to arrest my fall by throwing my hands out in front of me. They will get sandpapered pretty quickly if they stay under me and I would like to avoid it. A friend fell off his motorbike at 10mph and messed up his hands pretty badly and even lost part of a tatoo on his shoulder because he had given his gloves and jacket to his gilfriend riding pillion, she was perfectly fine.

In conclusion wear one if you want, don't if you don't want, anecdotal evidence is the only evidence we have (that I know of) so far.

coshgirl

@captain, I get your point but it's just that 'the herd' have been led to believe that cycle helmets offer far more protection than they actually do. And in no way can they be compared to motorcycle helmets either. Anyway, no insult intended, merely stating what I see on a daily basis. And my personal opinion is that safety efforts would be far more effectively directed in changing people's behaviour on the road - through better training for cyclists and drivers alike. Along with better and segregated cycle lanes. Alas that will cost the government money, so far easier to put all the onus for cycle safety onto cyclists themselves...

Captain

Indeed, Better education is required.
Even the basic training (CBT) that moped riders are required to achieve would give most cyclists and motorists a much better understanding of eachothers needs for the carriageway.

Me and friend noticed a little while ago how different our riding styles on the road were because his similar experience of biking is childhood paper rounds whereas mine is riding a slow moped. this means I look around myself more often take up a stronger position on the road, signal using road positioning as-well-as arm signals, etc..

Of course the issue is really about what a helmet will protect you from.

Does anyone have any info on the supposed "rotational injuries"?

coshgirl

@captain Bang on about looking round. I'm always checking over my shoulder and always indicate my movements. There seem to be a fair few cyclists out there that do neither. I believe there's a site where you can find all you'll ever need to know on cycle helmets and more if you're so inclined - www.cyclehelmets.org

Top Bottom