Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

NigC

ComedyPilot said:
By your first post I would say you already answered your second?

Not quite - by "something drastic" I meant some news posted in this thread that would alter my opinion. I've heard the cons, but I'm sticking with my lid anyway. I feel more comfortable wearing it and when I'm going downhill at 30+mph, I definitely feel more secure. I know there's many ways to die while cycling, but with it, I think that number is reduced :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Perhaps the better answer would be not to take the risks that require wearing a helmet? 30mph is massively outside the design limits of a helmet, assuming you hit something at that speed.

OP
OP
N

NigC

BentMikey said:
Perhaps the better answer would be not to take the risks that require wearing a helmet? 30mph is massively outside the design limits of a helmet, assuming you hit something at that speed.

You may be right. It's only a couple of short hills that give me that momentum and I won't take them at that speed if there's traffic around. I just feel I deserve to make up a little time after all the small inclines I have to take to get there :sad:

Of course the worst bit is having to climb them on the way home :biggrin: The last third I have to stand up and that always makes me less stable - I could walk, but when I get to that stage, I think it's time to retire the bike!!!

jimboalee

I wear a helmet when it looks good on the bike I'm riding.

I have a red coloured Specialized hat to match my red SWorks.
I have a silver coloured hat which looks OK when I'm riding my Blue/White Dawes Giro.

On my Pug PX10LE,,, are you joking? A Peugeot cotton cap maybe.

On all my other bikes,,, nope.

dondare

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
60% of all head injuries are alcohol rated - 1% cycle related (Wardlaw BMJ)

You are probably correct!

Helmets might offer some protection if someone throws a bottle at you, or if you're attacked by a drunk.

OP
OP
N

NigC

After reading all that's been said, I've added my thoughts to my OP. Here's my thoughts....

In Conclusion (for me anyway).

The safety aspect of wearing a helmet is self evident - smacking your head against tarmac, kerbs etc. etc. is never a good thing, but if you're going to do it, you're going to have a lot easier time of it with a helmet on your head.

I'll try to summarise the cons of helmet wearing:
  • In an accident it might be possible to suffer some kind of "rotational" injury.
  • Research suggests (Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm) drivers allow more room for non-helmetted cyclists than those with helmets.
  • Helmets can restrict your abilities to look over your shoulder.
  • They're no use when faced with a 40ft artic/bus/other big vehicle.
  • Not wearing a helmet makes you ride more cautiously and therefore more safely.
My Opinion
Yes, I'm allowed as it's my post :tongue: This is what I'm going to do:

Carry on wearing a helmet as I always have!

Why?
  • Because I feel more comfortable with it on.
  • Because it reduces the number of ways I can be killed while cycling.
  • Because I tell my 7-year old daughter she must wear one.
  • Because I don't care if I look like a prat wearing it.
  • Bacause I already ride cautiously (I believe).
OK, so I know going at 30mph is never going to win the "most cautious cyclist" award and the helmet's effectiveness is vastly reduced, but sometimes you've just gotta do it when you at the top of the hill!

johnnyh

Veteran
jimboalee said:
They offer no protection against a 40 tonne artic'.

Nor do they offer protection against a stray Gamma radioactive particle entering the atmosphere.

They do however, protect the wearer against bumping their head on the low doorway lintel at the Bridge Tea Rooms in Bradford on Avon.

Bloody dangerous place Bradford on Avon! :tongue:

NigC said:
  • Helmets can restrict your abilities to look over your shoulder.

Do they really? Or is this a case of a bad fitting helmet? I specifically made a point of checking today and I can't see any part of my helmet when looking backward (aside from a bit of my visor, which doesn't interfere with anything).

Also, the people taking the most risks this last week on their bikes (jumping reds, dashing between stationary busses / trucks) have been non-helmet non-high viz wearers. This mornings was a ?student? on a raleigh-shopper type with a basket, who jumped two reds that I saw, and with music in the ears.

OP
OP
N

NigC

SavageHoutkop said:
Do they really? Or is this a case of a bad fitting helmet? I specifically made a point of checking today and I can't see any part of my helmet when looking backward (aside from a bit of my visor, which doesn't interfere with anything).

Also, the people taking the most risks this last week on their bikes (jumping reds, dashing between stationary busses / trucks) have been non-helmet non-high viz wearers. This mornings was a ?student? on a raleigh-shopper type with a basket, who jumped two reds that I saw, and with music in the ears.

I have found a couple of times that the back of the helmet has got caught up in the hood of my jacket (hood down). A quick redress sorted it, but I couldn't turn my head until I'd done that.

But generally, I never have a problem with looking behind me.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think helmets restrict your looking, and neither do earphones.

Nig, if you want to be a responsible parent and careful cyclist, the best thing you can do is book yourself and your daughter some cycling lessons. Yes, I'm sure you're already a competent driver and cyclist, but learning to deal well with road positioning and negotiation is a whole new thing. What's more, this will probably have 1000 times more effect than wearing a helmet well.

monkeypony

Do helmets make you faster?

If not, why do the pros wear them?

They do everything possible to save weight so I can only assume that a standard road helmet makes your head more aero than no helmet at all.

Or do they believe that a helmet will protect their heads in the event of an accident and is therefore worth the extra weight?

Have they all been conned by the manufacturers?

OP
OP
N

NigC

BentMikey said:
I don't think helmets restrict your looking, and neither do earphones.

Nig, if you want to be a responsible parent and careful cyclist, the best thing you can do is book yourself and your daughter some cycling lessons. Yes, I'm sure you're already a competent driver and cyclist, but learning to deal well with road positioning and negotiation is a whole new thing. What's more, this will probably have 1000 times more effect than wearing a helmet well.

I will be booking my daughter for cycling lessons when she's a bit older. I've taken them and I'm sure it helped me. She's still at the stage a learning to control the bike well, so road awareness lessons are a bit too advanced just yet (we stick to open parks ATM). But it's certainly something she'll be taking in the future :biggrin: And until she's old enough to make her own choice - she's wearing a helmet! :tongue:

Top Bottom